Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 01 Sep 2022 15:44:40 GMT by mnvsriramjava
Hello, We are a small business and planning to get commercial items(like toys/games/bags) to sell in the UK from overseas(India) via personal air shipping. Can you please let me know if this is fine? Is it mandatory to get commercial items through commerical courier? If I can get commerical goods through personal shipping, at what point do I need to pay the vat? As of now with the planned model, the goods will be received at our business address with out paying any vat as no bill is produced to the peronal shipping agent. Thanks, Mand
Posted Fri, 02 Sep 2022 08:24:56 GMT by Customs oldtimer
hi Mand, You will need to specify more clearly what you mean by personal air shipping. For instance do you mean that someone is physically bring the goods into the country or are you using post or one of the courier companies like fedex, UPS , DHL etc?
Posted Fri, 02 Sep 2022 11:24:00 GMT by mnvsriramjava
Hello, when i say personal shipping, i meant through through different courier companies like Ups,DHL etc.. In the contents declaration form when booking the courier, the sender says the postage contains personal items but not commercial items.
Posted Mon, 05 Sep 2022 07:28:45 GMT by mnvsriramjava
Hello, can someone please reply
Posted Mon, 05 Sep 2022 11:07:14 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Please note -I do not work for HMRC but am trying to offer helpful advice from my experience. All goods on arrival into the UK are subject to Import VAT and customs duty when applicable. The couriers are required to submit a customs declaration and they will usually ask their customers for the taxes to be paid prior to delivery. You should provide a copy of your purchase invoice to the courier so they can declare the true value of the goods to customs . I would strongly advise that you do not declare commercial goods as personal imports or be tempted to undervalue the goods when they are imported as this may lead to seizure of the goods. Toys and games will also need to meet safety standards and be suitably tested and marked if you plan to sell them.
Posted Fri, 09 Sep 2022 15:51:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Please could you contact the Customs and International trade helpline on 0300 322 9434 with your question.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.