Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 12 Dec 2023 14:07:58 GMT by
Dear Sir / Madam, I am from Hong Kong and my BNO visa was already approved two years ago. I am just wondering if I can still apply the TOR1 (claims relief) now, as I have not yet moved to the UK. Or should I transfer my personal belongings within 12 months after the approval of my TOR1? Thanks & regards Yik chung WONG
Posted Wed, 13 Dec 2023 01:16:34 GMT by
And I also on and off to visit my family in UK Within this 2 years. Thanks for your answer Yik chung Wong
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 15:37:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

To claim relief, you must satisfy all of the following criteria:
  • you have been resident outside the UK for at least 12 consecutive months, prior to the date of moving to Great Britain or Northern Ireland. 
  • you are importing the goods within 12 months of coming to live in the UK
  • you intend to use the goods in the UK for the same purpose they were used for prior to moving
  • the goods can be imported in multiple consignments.
Any goods for which relief is granted cannot be lent, used as security, hired out or transferred to another person within 12 months of the date you moved. Short family trips does not affect that. You can see guidance here:

Transfer of residence to the UK

Thank you.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.