Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 18 Jun 2021 12:59:32 GMT by ingrid1974
I have a Ltd company (with 1 employee i.e. myself) and I have been doing a contract for a Norwegian company but working from home in the UK. (i have dual nationality UK/Belgium and i have a full 26 year of NI contributions in the UK) they are now asking for an A1 form - is this required? I tried filling out the CA3821 form to begin with but struggling with some of the information required.
Posted Tue, 22 Jun 2021 09:54:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 9

Some foreign authorities are insisting that customers have a PD A1 in place even when the customer is not working there. Some foreign authorities also request PD A1s when the customer is working in the UK but has a place of business, is a company director or is registered as a professional in that country. In these cases please submit a CA8421 and attach a letter explaining why the PD A1 is required.

If not registered in that country but UK only, a CA3821 and CA3822 is required. We need to review all of these circumstances:
  • National Insurance Number
  • Date of birth
  • Most recent UK address
  • Address abroad – if applicable
  • The type of work you do
  • Company name and address – UK and abroad
  • Where the contract is held
  • How often you work in the UK
  • The normal working pattern. Do you normally work in Norway?

You can find further information here

Check which country's social security legislation applies to you (CA8421)

Or contact the National Insurance helpline 

National Insurance: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.