Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 20 Oct 2022 12:02:39 GMT by A.G.Transportes
Hello We are a small shipping company working with individuals who send personal effects EU-UK and UK-EU. We handle all customs formalities for them, through a customs agent. With the change to CDS, they need to register themselves, which is already a problem. But when trying, the system request an EORI number, which they do not have, because they are private individuals. Also, they cannot access ToR1, as they are not moving, they just have a house in the UK and a house in the EU. We obviously asked our custom agents, but they only tell us that an individual does not need an EORI. What can we do? Thank you
Posted Thu, 20 Oct 2022 21:11:43 GMT by Customs oldtimer
I do not work for HMRC however in my experience there shouldn’t be a need for a private individual to register on CDS to import goods for personal use. The requirement to register on CDS is only for businesses who need to make declarations themselves, or VAT registered businesses who need to access their import VAT statements or commercial importers to manage their duty accounts. In the circumstances you have described the customs agent will be making the customs declaration on their behalf and it is they that will be registered on CDS as the customs declarant. A private individual importing goods for their personal use do not need an EORI either. The customs agent should be able to make the declaration using their name and address only. They should also be able to pay any duties an import VAT on your clients behalf. You should find similar rules apply in the EU but each country has its own specific ways of dealing with imports by individuals.
Posted Fri, 21 Oct 2022 11:49:32 GMT by A.G.Transportes
Thank you for your answer. I have told our agent about this, but I have not an answer yet. I have also asked in HMRC help chats about it, but they do not have an answer either. It is difficult to understand it is so easy to solve when no one is giving us a clear answer, so I think maybe there is something else. We had no issue with CHIEF, and in the EU it has not changed, so there is no problem with EU imports. Also, they have no clue about CDS, as it is exclusively for English procedures, imports now, and exports in a few months. Thank you again for your answer, I will post here if they give me an answer.
Posted Fri, 21 Oct 2022 13:34:43 GMT by Customs oldtimer
As your customer is a private individual using a clearance agent there is no requirement to register or any benefit in them doing so. Not registering will not prevent them from being able to import. As a private importer using a customs agent your clients should not really see much difference to when CHIEF was in use with the exception of possibly a little more information being needed. I would therefore like to understand the reason why you think your customers need to register for CDS? Why has the problem in importing arisen? The change in declaration requirements from Chief to CDS is for the customs agent to understand- it is the service they are paid for.
Posted Mon, 24 Oct 2022 11:59:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Please see this guidance for more information on private individuals:
Get an EORI number
Posted Mon, 24 Oct 2022 12:14:09 GMT by A.G.Transportes
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.