Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 12 Mar 2021 12:01:14 GMT by daryl mc mahon
I am currently an irish citizen working for a company in dublin. I will soon start to work remote from Ireland to work for a London based company. 1.My question is regarding tax resident status of UK. After 183 will I become a uk tax resident or will i not be as i have already started my tax year here in Ireland (irish tax year jan-dec)? 2. Does working remote contribute to days required to obtain UK tax resident status? 3. Do i need to have NIN for resident status to be obtained? Thanks guys any advice is apprecaited.
Posted Tue, 16 Mar 2021 08:39:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi, 

Residence starts when you arrive in the UK,  if you are not coming to the UK to work,  you remain in Irelantd  and all your employment duties 

for the UK employer are carried  out in Ireland, you may request and NT code to be operated by the UK employer. 

Thank You.
Posted Fri, 27 Aug 2021 05:41:20 GMT by Stripathi Tripathi
Hi, I'm from India. I'm moving to UK on dependent visa with continuing my job in Indian company. What are the taxes provisions for me? I'm paying taxes in India already. Would I be need to pay taxes in UK too even if I'm working on Indian payroll and getting INR salary in Indian account? Can I refer to any site that help me understand the tax calculation? My Indian salary converted to UK currency would be £12k yearly.
Posted Tue, 31 Aug 2021 10:08:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

Where you pay your taxes will depend on your UK tax residency status.

You may wish to check this first by following the guidance here:

RDR3 Statutory Residence Test

If you need to report any income the UK that has already been taxed in India, the UK can give foreign tax credit relief for the tax paid, so that you are not taxed twice on the same income. 

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 30 Nov 2021 14:40:49 GMT by 007
Hi, Sorry to bother you, but I have some questions want to know, please kindly help to review as following, Thank you so much! I have a mortgage property outside the UK, and the property is under rent to others. I need to tax paid when become a UK resident. 1) I plan to rent a house in the UK in mid-January, but I only came to the UK at the end of February and live in the house. Is this a UK tax resident to pay 2021-2022 tax? 2) If not when i will become a UK tax resident and start to pay tax? why? 3) If i rent a house in mid-January,but I only came to the UK at the end of February and live in hotel or BNB. Is this a UK tax resident to pay 2021-2022 tax? 4) If not when i will become a UK tax resident and start to pay tax? why? Thank you
Posted Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:31:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi 007

Thank you for your question.

You need to consider your UK residency position and complete the Statutory Residency Test.

You can find further information regarding this on our web site at:

Regards.
Posted Thu, 17 Feb 2022 14:36:35 GMT by Rhonda
Hi I have some questions want to know,my situation is: I am entering to UK on 5 Feb 2022 (bno 5+1 visa) and I am unemployed。 Please kindly help to review as following, Thank you so much! 1) Is I need to do Self Assessment Tax Return (6 April 2022~ 5 April 2023). 1.1) if yes , all income tax returns starting date is ? 1.2) if no, for 6 April 2023 ~ 5 April 2024,all income tax return starting date is 6 April 2022? 2) My total income including dividends(overseas account) and savings interest, total amount are below personal allowance , is that also need to do Self Assessment Tax Return。 3)I have bought a house (self -occupation)through solicitor , stamp duty land tax paided, so any tax I should pay for next tax year regards
Posted Mon, 21 Feb 2022 11:07:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You can see the following guidance on when you are required to complete a Self Assessment tax return:

Self Assessment tax returns

You will need to check you residency status for the year you entered the UK:

However, if you are classed as non resident then you would only report income earned from the UK part of the year.

You will need to coiantct the Stamp Duty Tax team for any queries relating to Stamp Duty Land Tax.

Stamp Duty Land Tax

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.