Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 03 Jul 2021 13:31:23 GMT by KelDW
Owning a second home in France since 2007 I have taken a very large number of personal items over in the last decade due to splitting my time between the UK and France. I understand that there is a deadline of June 2022 for returning items I still retain receipts etc for. But due to the Covid restrictions imposed I've been unable to travel for some time to retrieve anything. If the situation were to continue and the items not able to be brought back to the UK until after that date where can I find specific details (domestic goods, hobby items, garden tools etc) for what VAT & Duty charges I would be required to pay - similarly for items where no receipt has been kept (would likely have needed a full filing cabinet to retain all !)
Posted Fri, 06 Aug 2021 12:26:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

You can get relief from customs charges due on personal belongings and other goods, when transferring your place of residence to:
  • Great Britain
  • Northern Ireland from outside the EU
You can find further guidance here:

Transfer of residence to UK

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 31 Mar 2022 14:10:55 GMT by Phil Blair
I have a holiday home in France were I have items which was passed on to me from my French mother in 2010 and would like to bring back to the UK later this year Included is an oak chest which she owned from before I was born (in 1951). I have no receipt for this item. Dimensions : 109 cm l x 48 cm w x 67cm h I would like to know what and if any duties etc. would be chargeable if I bring this chest back in my car. I am not relocating to UK, being UK resident. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 05 Apr 2022 09:33:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Please see below guidance.

After a initial review the guidance states there is no relief for goods imported from secondary and holiday homes.

I would advise contacting the Customs and International trade helpline on 0300 322 9434 for any further guidance:

Transfer of residence to UK   .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.