Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 05 Sep 2022 17:52:43 GMT by magnagatti cianch
I have a rental income from an overseas property (Italy) for a total annual rent of 8000 €. From this income I pay 21% in taxes, plus council tax and expenses. Do I need to present a self-assessment even if, given the double taxation agreement, the final tax in UK goes to zero? If the 21% tax counts as allowable expense, then the rental income is below the property allowance. If not, technically I need to present the self-assessment and report the tax already paid in Italy as credit. Thanks
Posted Thu, 08 Sep 2022 13:31:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 28

As you are in receipt of foreign income, you will need to declare the income in a Self Assessment tax return every year and also complete the relevant supplementary pages appropriate to you.  Foreign income is declared on SA106 (Foreign).  

You can register for self assessment at:

Register for Self Assessment

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.