Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 10 Jul 2022 17:42:44 GMT by ritchieA
Dear Sir/madam, I currently file self assessment for rental income, last year I paid for council tax for my rental property during periods of vacancy whilst finding new tenants using my personal Santander 123 account, which gives you cash back of up to 1% or £5 max a month if you pay 2 pounds a month fee and have at least 4 direct debits coming out of that account. Its a small amount, maybe 10-20 pounds over the year, but is cashback like this non-taxable or would I have to list it as income or deduct the amount from the bill of council tax? Similarly, this year I received council tax rebate of £150 for the property too as I had still been paying the council tax in april, is that taxable/I need to take 150 pounds off the council tax bill as an expense? Many thanks. 
Posted Tue, 12 Jul 2022 11:02:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Cashback rewards are not taxable.

You can deduct the rebate amount from the total for this year.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 16 Jul 2022 13:23:47 GMT by ritchieA
Thank you for your response, By deduct the rebate amount, you mean that for example I paid 500 pounds for the council tax bill this year, but I got 150 pounds rebate from the council, on my self assessment, I would put 350 down as the expense for rent rates category. (So instead of claiming 500 as expense, I would just claim 350). Many thanks
Posted Tue, 19 Jul 2022 07:55:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

That's correct  .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.