Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 10 Mar 2023 10:21:01 GMT by mkcchan
Dear HMRC, I have a residential property newly let out. I need to pay the letting fee or a commission to the agent. Can I deduct the letting fee or commission as a property expense? Pls comment. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 10 Mar 2023 14:52:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi mkcchan,

Thank you for your question.
Letting agents fees and management expenses are deductible expenses from your rental income.

The following link provides guidance on allowable expenditure:

Work out your rental income when you let property

Thank you. 
Posted Sun, 19 Mar 2023 04:22:48 GMT by
Hi HMRC I would like to enquire if the household expenses, eg electricity bills, can be are deductible expenses from your rental income.
Posted Tue, 21 Mar 2023 14:54:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

I would advise that once a rental business has commenced, household expenses such as electrivity bills may be claimed as an expense,
however, before the commencement of the rental business, these would unfortunately be incurred at your own expense .

Further information is held on the following pages:

Property Income Manual   and

Work out your rental income when you let property  .

Thank you  .

Posted Thu, 06 Apr 2023 17:00:07 GMT by mkcchan
Dear HMRC, I have a property advertised for letting for a long time and only let out successfully until in the last 3 months of the tax year. May I claim all property expenses in the entire tax year? or Should I only claim the expenses in that 3 months? Pls comment. Thanks.
Posted Thu, 13 Apr 2023 11:47:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi mkcchan
If the property is empty for part of the tax year and you were actively seeking a new tenant then you can claim any expenditure incurred during the vacant period as long as it was wholly exclusively and necessary.
Posted Sun, 14 Jan 2024 07:06:16 GMT by
Hi HMRC, I didn't rent out my property in 21/22 tax year and began renting it again in Oct22. During this time I was undertaking maintenance and repair to enable the property to be re-let. I was doing much of the work myself hence the time period. Can i claim the expenses in this (22/23) tax year? They included replacing the guttering as it was leaking, repairing the window frames where they were rotten and fixing two broken panes, repairing and replacing kitchen doors where water damage had occurred all of which would not have been possible with sitting tenants. I noticed in your guidance that you can claim for expenses incurred in preparing a property for rental and between tenants which this was. I also noticed that you can claim losses after you have stopped renting and re-rent again within 3yrs. Would the above fall into one or both of these categories? I have started to complete my return and i've got flagged that the expenses are high compared to the income - as these expenses are offset against half a year's rental income. Is this ok? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 08:16:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi tableandchairs,
Please to Property Income Manual PIM2510  which covers a letting that ceases which later re-commences and losses.  
You would need to consider the facts set out, in your circumstances it is possible that your business had not ceased but was temporarily unavailable while work on repairs or alterations were carried out.
You can claim expenses for the property repairs when declaring your rental income for the 2022-23 tax year, we would suggest that you retain receipts/invoices of your repairs if required at a later date.
Losses can only be carried forward and set against future profits of the same business, this is dependent on whether the original business resumed or there had been a cessation followed by a new business commencing, so if you are treating it as a temporary pause then losses would be allowable. 
Thankyou.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.