Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 07 Mar 2024 13:31:22 GMT by Martin
Hello, As a self-managing landlord, I would like to undertake some training with ARLA/PropertyMark. I believe this would enhance my knowledge in key areas of renting property. Will this training be tax deductible? And if I took their exams to verify the knowledge gained, would that be tax deductible too? Someone mentioned that the initial training is not deductible, but refresher training is. However I am unable to locate any reference to this type of thing in the property income manuals. And cannot understand the logic. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2024 09:35:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
Unfotunately these costs are not allowable.  You can only claim expenses that are incurred in the actual letting of the property.
Thank you.
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2024 17:14:40 GMT by Nikolay
Hello, could you please specify what kind of courses/qualifications are tax deductible? Are any courses for buying/selling/letting allowable? Also, I found courses like Oxford Real Estate Investment Programme (online) certified by CPD. Is that suitable? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2024 09:58:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
Thank you for your question, please refer to guidance BIM42526 Specific deductions: administration: own training courses and BIM35660 Capital/revenue divide: intangible assets: proprietor's training courses which provides extensive guidance and examples on when training courses can be treated as a revenue expense. The main rule of thumb is for the course/training to be an allowable deduction, expenditure incurred by the owner of a business on training courses must be incurred wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the trade carried on by them at the time the training is undertaken.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.