Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 17:08:24 GMT by
I jointly own an FHL with my wife. I fill in a self assessment tax form as I have pension income. My wife works with tax tax taken out at source and does not do self assessment. Can I declare all the income for the FHL on my form or is it a requirement that my wife should register for self assessment and we declare 50% each.
Posted Fri, 06 Oct 2023 10:58:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Graham P,

I would advise you that if a husband and wife jointly own a property then the property is treated as split equally between the two spouses.
This will apply unless a valid declaration on Form 17 has been made.
You can find further information regarding jointly held property at TSEM9800 - Property held jointly by married couples or civil partners
I would also refer you to the guidance on our web site at  Self Assessment tax returns Who must send a tax return

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 07 Oct 2023 12:22:00 GMT by
Thank you for your reply. TSEM 9850 states that the 50/50 rule does not apply to income from furnished holiday lets. It goes on to say : 'If a spouse or civil partner carries on the activity alone: that spouse or civil partner is taxable on the income' I essentially run the FHL alone, therefore my understanding is that I should declare all the income on my self assessment form. Is my interpretation correct?
Posted Tue, 10 Oct 2023 09:44:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi,

Thank you for your question.

You are correct that the 50/50 rule does not apply to FHL.

Please accept my apologies for the fact that we previously advised you that it did.

Your interpretation of TSEM9850 is correct.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.