Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 22 Jun 2021 13:29:31 GMT by siu wai lam
I have submitted the NRL1 in mid of April, and it is still processing. Should I need to register the UTR separately? Or once the NRL1 is approved, the UTR will be assigned together without additional application? Please advise. Thanks.
Posted Thu, 24 Jun 2021 14:01:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 9

The NRL1 form will generate the Self Assessment UTR.

To find out the status of the form, you could contact the Non-UK resident landlords helpline:

Non-UK resident landlords

Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 22 Jul 2021 02:40:47 GMT by WC
Hi HMRC Admin, I have the same questions but I was asked the filled SA1 form from the link " " and send to to HMRC form by posting to HM Revenue and Customs NIC&EO BX9 1AN United Kingdom Would you confirm whether I need to "wait for the UTR" or "send the form" ? Thanks for your reply.
Posted Mon, 26 Jul 2021 13:53:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 23

The NRL team should automatically forward on the details to have the UTR set up. 

Posted Thu, 29 Jul 2021 02:11:59 GMT by WC
However, HMRC replied that it's required to post the SA1 from which is different from what you reply. Please clarify.
Posted Mon, 09 May 2022 11:38:44 GMT by Joyfulman
Do I only use the NRL no. Instead of UTR in filing tax return? Like some of the above who asked questions, I am not residing in UK and I do not have National ID. I called and enquired how to get UTR no. but to my frustration I was directed no 4 different numbers and then I was told to check Home Office to get my right to work in UK which I found weird as I am not going to work in UK. Thank you
Posted Fri, 13 May 2022 13:54:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Joyfulman,

If you are a non resident landlord then you need a UTR number to file a self assessment tax return.
If you have completed the NRL1 form this will be done automatically for you.
You can contact us here and we can check if this has been done for you:
Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 24 May 2022 08:20:15 GMT by WC
After I got the UTR, can I file the tax online instead of by posting paper form? Thanks!
Posted Wed, 25 May 2022 16:32:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
If you are non resident then you can only file online using third party software as HMRC software does not support the SA109 part of the form.
Self Assessment commercial software suppliers

You must be signed in to post in this forum.