Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 06 May 2023 23:12:08 GMT by
Hello, when I am sending HMRC the Form 17, do I need to send it with the original copy of the Declaration of Trust that I received from my solicitor? Or a photocopy of the Declaration of Trust will do? If the original copy is needed, how long will it takes until HMRC returns my Declaration of Trust? Thank you
Posted Thu, 11 May 2023 15:49:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Lai Fung,

You do not need to send the original to us but please ensure you send a copy when you send us your completed Form 17.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 11 May 2023 17:32:00 GMT by
Hello, Thanks for your reply, but I called HMRC today and they told me to send in an original Declaration of Trust. I was also asked to send in a note to request the original copy to be returned. Could you confirm which is the case, please? I would really prefer not to send in the original Declaration of Trust, if a photocopy of it is sufficient. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 18 May 2023 15:13:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi,

Please note that a photocopy of your Declaration of Trust should be acceptable, you can look at guidance here -

Declare beneficial interests in joint property and income

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 14:54:19 GMT by R J
Would it also be advisable to send the Form 17 and Declaration of Trust by "Signed for" post? Does HMRC provide any confirmation that they have received these docs successfully?
Posted Wed, 31 May 2023 10:49:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi R J
It is up to you if you wish to sent it signed for.
Confirmation will only be issued when the post item is worked.
Thank you. 

Posted Sun, 02 Jul 2023 18:57:17 GMT by
Hello, I sent HMRC my Form 17 with supporting document about a month ago and still have not receive any confirmation. Could you kindly advise what is the usual timeframe for HMRC to issue a response please? Would that be in a form of a letter or email? Unfortunately I did not send my form with tracking. Would you advise to send the form in again if I still don't hear back from HMRC for another few weeks? Many thanks!
Posted Thu, 06 Jul 2023 15:22:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Lai Fung,

Progress chasing queries are not dealt with this via this forum.
You can check HMRC timescales @ Check when you can expect a reply from HMRC

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.