Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:12:08 GMT by abs9826 AH
Hi I own a second property that is solely in my name that am looking to rent out. I would like to transfer 100 % of the rental income from this property to my wife who is currently a homemaker with no income and will be managing this property and this will become her main source of income. She will register for self-assessment and pay any tax due on the rental income above her taxable allowance. I would like to ask: 1. Will a Deed of Assignment be sufficient to serve this purpose 2. As the Property is solely in my name do I still need to complete Form 17 and submit this to HMRC along with a copy of the Deed of Assignment? 3. Will there be any immediate tax that I will be liable to pay for transferring 100% beneficial interest to my spouse such as any Capital gains or Stamp duty. Kind Regards A.H
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:44:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I'm sorry to advise you that form 17 is not applicable in your case as you own 100% of the property.

Form 17 is only applicable if the property was jointly owned between married couples, with a 50/50. To facilitate form 17 split, you would need to transfer 50% of the property ownership to your wife, under a formal Deed and register her as a joint beneficial owner.

Please refer to the following for further information.

PIM1030 - Introduction: jointly owned property & partnerships - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
TSEM9800 - Property held jointly by married couples or civil partners: contents - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Capital Gains (CG) is chargeable in respect of who is the actual beneficial owner of the property.

As it stands you being the 100% owner of the property, you will be liable for CG. Furthermore, if you do transfer a beneficial interest to your wife, you are liable to CG on the transfer.

You must pay Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) if you buy a property or land over a certain price in England and Northern Ireland .

Thank you .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.