Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 31 May 2022 16:35:17 GMT by EMdriver
Hi team, I have read some information on the gov uk website regarding landlord might have to pay national insurance if they are running business. However I would like to further clarify for the following condition, does landlord has to pay national insurance? Condition: The landlord is renting out 2 properties, no other jobs (not employed, not self-employed), and is not going to buy other property to rent out. Thanks!
Posted Wed, 08 Jun 2022 10:50:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You can see guidance here:

Renting out your property 

It states that ‘You do not pay National Insurance if you are not running a business, even if you do work like arranging repairs, advertising for tenants and arranging tenancy agreements.’

You have not given this information, but from the details supplied it would appear you are not liable to pay National Insurance contributions.  If you are in doubt, you will need to write or call with full details of your circumstances.

National Insurance: general enquiries

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 15 Jun 2022 13:38:06 GMT by fadman
I have a similar situation, I rent out 2 properties (not a company) and I am also employed full-time. In the self-assessment tax return, I enter the details from the P60 and the profit from properties with expenses. I had to make 3 payments, that is: - Payment due -First payment on account - Second payment on account Question 1: Does this include NIC 4 ? I understand from @HMRC Admin 19 that I should not pay NIC4. Question 2: Is there a way to stop the Self-assessment tax return from taking 2 advanced payments.
Posted Wed, 15 Jun 2022 16:36:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi fadman
You will be liable to Class 4 National Insurance if you have completed a self employment page within your return and have a profit to show.
If your tax bill is over £1000 and 80% of the charge due is not deducted at source, you will always have payments on account to pay.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.