Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 04 Apr 2022 09:57:04 GMT by
Hi Admin, How can I get my government gateway confirmation of earnings with monthly breakdown please? After 1 Apr 2022, I cannot use UK verify to access my personal tax account. I tried to verify my identity via UK government gateway. But it required UK passport, Credit reference questions, Northern Ireland driving licence. As a Hong Konger with Tier 5 visa, do I deserve to be awarded a right to use HRMC online service to access my personal tax account? If not, can I get the paper form of my government gateway confirmation of earnings with monthly breakdown please? Many thanks.
Posted Tue, 05 Apr 2022 14:23:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

Steve,

There will be updates to the verification journey for the Government Gateway in July, we can't give details of the potential changes before then.

Thank uou.
Posted Tue, 05 Apr 2022 14:27:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

Dixonlai,

If you are unable to verify using the Government Gateway you will not be able to access the online account.

We do not have a process for providing monthly earnings figure outside of the Personal Tax Account.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 16 Apr 2022 01:30:56 GMT by
So I might as well add my situation to the list - the more on here, the better. I've just had a very frustrating few minutes reading back over the past 9 months of replies from HRMC, who clearly haven't read or understood the issues everyone has raised. I am in Australia. I do not have a UK address- my address is in Australia. So when I get to that 'enter your UK postcode' question, it denies identify verification like everyone else. HRMC, you have our money. We are entitled to our pensions and you're not giving us access - we are being discriminated against because we are citizens living abroad. I think it's disgusting treatment and I don't feel very British at the moment. So you say you'll have an update to the system in July - but can't give any further info. What about confirming that it will be updated to allow access to citizens who live abroad?
Posted Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:05:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

We are unable to provide details of potential changes before they are implemented.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 20 Apr 2022 14:35:54 GMT by
I cannot access the online services offered by HMRC because I changed the number of my telephone. The system generates a code during the login process which goes to my old number. This seems to be a simple issue to get solved but is being a nightmare to me! I have tried to use the online options but I cannot answer the two items such as the number of my UK drive licence since I don´t have it. I kindly ask you a straightforward reply: is there any chance to fill a form and send it to the HMRC asking to change my access code phone number since it is very difficult to speak with someone over the phone?
Posted Thu, 21 Apr 2022 09:25:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Ana,

The only way to change the access code method is by competing the verification, and selecting a new way to receive the code.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 21 Apr 2022 11:59:13 GMT by
I am a non resident landlord. Do not have a UK postcode. I cannot verify myself on the system as I cannot get passed this step. I am trying to arrange a repayment. Phoning impossible have tried. Have searched everywhere online. Please advise what number I need to enter in the postcode box that the system will accept? Leaving it blank as per self assessment form does not work. THANKS
Posted Mon, 25 Apr 2022 11:59:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi,

You will not be able to verify for the account, you would need to speak to our Self Assessment department or write to us:

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

Posted Sat, 21 May 2022 16:19:14 GMT by
Same sort of issue here - sold our house, need to pay CGT, no way to create the necessary account. I'll try to phone next week, but can already guess how long that's going to take.
Posted Sat, 28 May 2022 10:37:06 GMT by
Dear HMRC, I need help with verifying my identity on Government Gateway. Digidentity is not helpful either. Problem is that I am a new resident in the UK and working for the NHS since Feb 2022. Have an NI number, address but don't have a credit history or British passport. 1st page has options like self assessment, credit history, payslip/p60, UK passport and Northern Irish driving license. OK then i go further and it reduces the options and limits it to only 2nd page; UK passport, P60/payslip (which means no access for foreign residents in the UK?) I find it hard to believe. Please help.
Posted Mon, 30 May 2022 12:45:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

Meher Muhammad Zeeshan ,

If you are unable to verify using the questions being asked, you will not be able to verify for the online account.

There will be changes made to the process in July and you may be able to verify then.

You would need to contact HMRC by telephone or in writing for any queries if you are unable to verify.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 10 Jul 2022 19:08:36 GMT by
It's now July 2022, do you have an update on changes to access to Government Gateway/HMRC? Will anything improve the situation for UK citizens overseas who want to access information about their NICs/pensions online?
Posted Tue, 12 Jul 2022 17:04:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Janet Kovach-Fuentes
The updates to the verification process were to add the DVLA for GB driving license, previously it was only for NI.
Thankyou.
Regards.
Posted Thu, 14 Jul 2022 12:31:16 GMT by Mary-Lynn Ladbrooke
I am having the exact same problem as everyone else on this page in regards to not having a UK address. I left the Uk over 30 years ago and do have a current UK passport but i do not have a uk address for credit checks. I have a driving licence which is an old green paper one and the new DL option does not cater for that. I contacted a number on the help page….gentlemen told me to email tech support. I got a “stock standard” response that does not solve trying to get past the verification page. Is there a team who can manual identify me and get me past this online step? If no, what is a potential solution or workaround? And I’d appreciate it if your response is not one of “you need to verify…..” as per the responses above. It’s obvious from the email chain that there are so many uk citizens who need to access their details and so would appreciate a specific response on actions I (we) can take to get pass this extremely problematic hurdle. Thank you
Posted Fri, 15 Jul 2022 10:55:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Mary-Lynn Ladbrooke,

There is no process for manual verification, if you are unable to verify with the options that are provided online you will not be able to verify.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 02 Sep 2022 09:40:31 GMT by
It's now September 2022, I can't see there's a new verification process in Government Gateway/HMRC, it's still asking NI number and postal code.
Posted Wed, 14 Sep 2022 13:08:11 GMT by
I'm a non-resident UK landlord and just wanted to add my 2 cents here. It was NEVER possible to register for HMRC online services for non-residents. That's why non-residents are not allowed to file the Self Assessment online but have to use the post instead. HMRC are very clear about that here https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad : "You cannot use HMRC’s online services to tell them about your income if you’re non-resident. Instead, you must do one of the following - fill in a Self Assessment tax return and an SA109 form and send by post".
Posted Thu, 22 Sep 2022 21:37:23 GMT by GRAHAM TARLING
I've lived in Canada since 1996. I co-own a rental property in the UK and am now also receiving a UK company pension (for which I receive a P60), so pay taxes in the UK then claim a credit on my Canadian return. I want access to HMRC as needed to be able to see my tax status. I don't want to file a return online. I don't have a UK passport or drivers licence. I do have a birth certificate, Can passport and drivers licence. So far as I know Canada is a relatively well developed country that has a tax treaty with the UK, so why can't I identify myself with this documentation?
Posted Mon, 26 Sep 2022 13:42:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

You need to have an identity document that was issued by the UK government.

This could be a passport or photocard driving licence.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.