Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 01 Apr 2022 01:24:21 GMT by cnty821 Liu
I am trying to sign up MTD for VAT at HMRC site. Guess I have to because we are all requred to do MTD for VAT starting April 2022 (correct me if my understanding is wrong). In the signing up MTD process, it asked "National Insurance Number". I am not a UK national. I do not have a "National Insurance Number" although I have a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR). The HMRC site does not accept a 'blank' (empty) entry or a UTR for this. I tried to use VAT number for this field. It doens't work either. It’s a sole business and I have one VAT only. Any suggestions/comments are welcome. Thanks!
Posted Mon, 04 Apr 2022 13:07:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 24
Hi.

You are correct in your understanding that all Businesses have to sign up for MTD from April 2022.

I would recommend you speak to our Helpline on 03002003700 as we will need to look in to your records.

It may well be that some of the details we have for you may be wrong and so the questions which you are being asked as part of the signing up process are also wrong.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 04 Apr 2022 15:12:12 GMT by cnty821 Liu
Thank you. After reading HMRC MTD sign up page (https://www.gov.uk/vat-record-keeping/sign-up-for-making-tax-digital-for-vat) a few times, I realized that I should sign up with "general partner" without NIN (because there are two individuals). Signed up and am waiting for the confirmation from HMRC.
Posted Tue, 05 Apr 2022 19:48:12 GMT by cnty821 Liu
Hi HMRC admin, One more question. I signed up in April 1 2pm ish (uk time local time). As of today this moment (8:47 pm April 5 UK time), I still have not received a confirmation email from HMRC. Are we still expecting a confirmation email now that everyone has to do MTD for VAT? thank you again.
Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 09:37:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hello

You should of had the confirmation withing 3 days please contact the helpline 0300 200 3701.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.