Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:55:36 GMT by Brian Courtney
Hello, I am a 69 year old man. UK citizen who has recently returned to live permanently in the UK. I left to live in USA in 1979 and worked up to that time. I have 8 years of NI contributions for the years prior to leaving. I have access to my NI record and checked with the future pension forecast and I am eligible to make up 12 years of NI contributions from 2006/7 - 2017/18. On my record I am quoted making Class 3 contributions at a cost of 824.20/year. I was told to look into my eligibility to make up these missing years with Class 2 contributions but am confused if in my particular situation I qualify. Someone on the phone from HMRC said I was ineligible to make up the short fall as Class 2 contributions as I was now past state pension age. I was self employed in USA for 90% of my years there. Would appreciate any help with this. Thank you
Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 07:52:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Brian Courtney,
As you are over State Pension age we cannot advise about periods abroad,m as this is done by the DWP International Pension Centre +44 (0)1912187777 – they can advise about gaps in National Insurance, what can be paid and how much it costs.
Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.