Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 31 Mar 2023 11:11:55 GMT by Bertlloyd James
Sparx has outlined very clearly how this system should be improved that would make life for 99% of customers so much easier. I also would like to see an answer as to why this cannot be implemented in short order, as would almost everyone on this forum. HMRC Admin, please provide a response to this request, preferably with a timeline as to when it could be implemented and not just provide the stock response that we have to call the Future Pension Service then HMRC for the 18 digit code. It would undoubtedly make your lives as well as ours so much easier and bring us all into the 21st century!!
Posted Fri, 31 Mar 2023 14:04:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Valerie Moody,

Any payment made for voluntary contributions can take up to 8 weeks to show on your account.  

The date the payment is received would always be considered, and therefore you would pay any contributions at the current rate.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 31 Mar 2023 15:18:58 GMT by Lorraine SS M
To add to previous suggestions, the excuse that HMRC doesn't know which years to allocate payments against doesn't really hold water. The payments for back years are standard amounts. Let's call them X, Y, Z etc A simple computer program should be able to parse payments made into 3X + 2Y + 1Z etc As for finding which years are intended, always allocate the payments to the oldest possible years and you will have your breakdown. Lets say in the above example there were a possible 5 years at amount X, 3 at Y, and one at Z, the oldest three X would be allocated (leaving 2 to pay in future if desired) plus the oldest two Y, plus the Z. Simple stuff.
Posted Tue, 04 Apr 2023 13:07:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Mick-,

Unfortunately the only way to obtain a 18 digit reference is by contacting the National Insurance team.  

National Insurance: general enquiries

The deadline for paying voluntary Class 3 NICs has been extended to 31 July 2023.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 04 Apr 2023 15:16:13 GMT by Bannor
Finally got through to Future Pensions today after 2 weeks of trying. Waited in queue for 1 hr 41 mins and they had me all sorted out in under 15 mins with 18 digit reference number. Keep trying folks once you do get through process is painless and they are very helpful.
Posted Wed, 05 Apr 2023 09:05:11 GMT by
I’ve received an overview of the class 2 contributions I have to make for the missing years together with a PDF of documents IPC117 and INS13 and information regarding how one can pay. According to the information in INS13 payment from abroad can be made by bank transfer into the HMRC IBAN account applying a personalised reference number composing of one’s National Insurance Number, followed by IC, surname and Initial. An 18 digit reference number does not seem to be required! To check whether the payment has been received one can call [admin removed information]
Posted Wed, 05 Apr 2023 14:25:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Mohammad,

The deadline for 2017-2018 to 2020-2021 have also been extended to the 31 July 2023 the 2023-2024 rates are in place from 1 August 2023.

You have written to the correct address and will be accepting of the date received and our response will be as if no delay has happened and not from the date we pick up your correspondence.

Unfortunately we can not advise another way to obtain a 18 digit reference.

If you have ever made a payment for Voluntary National Insurance Contributions (NICs) with a reference starting 60 you may wish to use that reference again.

The bank details are:

HMRC NIC Receipts
Sort code 08 32 20
Account Number 12001004

You can also make a payment by cheque please provide the following information along with your cheque made payable to: HM Revenue and Customs only.

•    including your name, address and phone number
•    include the NINO on the cheque and their letter.
•    including the payment amount
•    including what the payment is for - Class 3 National Insurance
•    including the period they are paying for
•    including a request for a receipt - if this is required

Send your cheque and letter to 

National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AN

Posted Wed, 05 Apr 2023 15:15:11 GMT by
I have paid 2 year’s voluntary contributions as I was opted out due to working with local authorities for most of my working life. I still owe 2 years but when I phoned the future pensions they were unsure if paying these 2 years would enhance my state pension which I am due to receive March 2024 how can I find out if paying these other 2 years would benefit me? Also the 18 digit number starting with 60 which I was given to pay the 2 years , is it the same 18 digit number I use or do I need to phone up for another 18 digit number
Posted Thu, 06 Apr 2023 07:10:39 GMT by Bertlloyd James
When I did manage to get through to the Future Pension Service, I was informed that I would need to contact HMRC to obtain the 18 digit reference number. However, it would appear from a previous post, that the customer was provided this number by the Future Pension Service. Is this a recent change and if so why has this not been clearly communicated in the HMRC/FPS websites? Or as a general update on this forum? If this is the case then this is an improvement that should save customers having to spend precious time on another call. HMRC Admin, please clarify whether we can now obtain the 18 digit reference number from the FPS?
Posted Thu, 06 Apr 2023 10:02:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Leon,

The CF83 application is the legal requirement to apply to pay voluntary National Insurance Contributions (NICs) while abroad.

If you wish only apply for past shortfall please tick the appropriate option on the form.  You may also wish to advise which years you are wanting to pay.  Depending on your circumstances these specific years will still need to be confirmed by the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP) that they will impact your UK state pension entitlement.

Making a payment from abroad you do not need a 18 digit reference as the bank details are different to those used for UK payments.

You can find guidance below on how on paying National Insurance contributions abroad.

INS13 Paying National Insurance contributions from abroad

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 11 Apr 2023 15:01:47 GMT by
Can someone please let me know if I can use the same 18 digit number as before or do I need a different number, I have tried phoning 0300 200 3500 and after answering all the questions you get “thank you for your call goodbye” what a shambles
Posted Tue, 11 Apr 2023 18:23:48 GMT by
Managed to get through to Future Pensions today after dialling the number for 30minutes and eventually managed to get into the queue, waited another 1hr 50mins to speak to an advisor who was very helpful. I was then advised to phone HMRC to get the 18 digit number which is required to make the voluntary payment (I already had an 18 digit number for my previous years payment but a difference number is required for every payment you make in case anyone thinks you can use the same digit number) After getting cut off on several occasion managed to get into that queue where I waited another 1.50hrs to speak to an advisor where he was very helpful and issued the 18 digit number. Surely in this this day of technology there is a easier way for this to be done, where all this can be done on line.
Posted Wed, 12 Apr 2023 03:12:50 GMT by
Hi I am thinking to contribute Class 2 NI so I would like to ask the following 3 questions:- 1. what is the purpose for this form - Application to pay National Insurance contributions abroad? https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1102905/CF83.pdf 2. Is it right that I can get the 18 digit NI Reference Number from HMRC after completed this form? 3. Will I receive reply on whether I will benefit my pension if I contribute Class 2 NI and how much NI I should contribute?
Posted Thu, 13 Apr 2023 14:22:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Sandra Henry,

Only DWP can advise whether paying any further years will enhance your pension.  Contact the Future Pension Centre
If they were unable to do so, they should have advised of next steps to take, for example did they advise you to contact HMRC?  
You should call for a new 18 digit reference number for every separate payment you make.  
This ensures that the money you pay is allocated as early as possible,using an old number could cause delay.

Thank you.

Posted Thu, 13 Apr 2023 20:46:59 GMT by
I was 50 minutes on hold waiting to speak to an advisor on a 0300 number which is charged, I had to hang up, this is a deliberate denial of service. I want to make a voluntary contribution and is their no other way to get an 18 digit number and if not why not. Why is HMRC behaving as though they were something out of the 1950's ?
Posted Wed, 19 Apr 2023 10:10:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi ckyaudavie Yau,

If you are abroad and want to apply to pay Voluntary Class 2 National Insurance Contributions (NICs) you will have to complete the form in the link.  
Once completed and all relevant information is supplied and you have signed the declaration that you have read the information held in the Social Security abroad: NI38,  you must post your application we do not have this form online at present.
When our International Caseworker (ICW) review your application and if you meet the criteria and are accepted to pay the class 2 rate of voluntary NICs you will receive a letter confirming all rates and time limits and how to pay.
When paying from abroad you do not require a 18 digit reference and all information on how to pay will be included with our response.
The reason you do not need the 18 digit reference is because the bank details for abroad voluntary NICs is different to that used for UK payments of Voluntary Class 3 NICs.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 27 Apr 2023 17:57:44 GMT by
What is the current expected response time for the NI38 form? I sent mine in about a month ago (from the US) so wondering when I might expect a response, given the July 31st deadline.....
Posted Fri, 05 May 2023 08:00:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi richakn knight,

I can confirm that the current timescale for processing your application is 36 weeks.
The department dealing with your application are currently working on post received on 16 August 2022.
This will have no affect on the deadline of 31 July 2023.
This is the deadline for HMRC receiving your application, not processing it.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 06 May 2023 15:52:08 GMT by
Dear Service Team I have had obtained a18 digit reference code to pay Class 3 Voluntary National Insurance contributions online via the link below: https://www.gov.uk/pay-voluntary-class-3-national-insurance. However, when it redirected me to the bank payment page, the line has had broken. I did not manage the complete the rest information. The screen immediately shown the payment is not completed. As I know the 18 digit reference code is a one-time off of using it. On my situation, whether I can use the same 18 digit reference, make fast payment via my own bank rather than using the above payment link? [details removed by admin]
Posted Tue, 09 May 2023 15:23:31 GMT by
Good afternoon HMRC Admin team, I have now managed to obtain an 18 digit reference number, my question is whether this number has a time limit for which to use it? Kind regards...

You must be signed in to post in this forum.