Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 14 Sep 2021 16:27:56 GMT by HaggisHunter
I worked for a company in 2018. They did not pay me wages for 8 months but instead gave me shares in the company for free. If I understand this correctly what they done was illegal and I should have been paid the national minimum wage. I also no longer have these shares as they were taken away from me when I was fired. If I am correct those shares should still be valid after being fired for such a deal to have been valid ? Is the non payment of wages from 2018 still recoverable through HMRC? (Around £15,000) And can my back pay promise from 2019 be recovered as this was denied too even though it was promised (around another £15,000)
Posted Thu, 16 Sep 2021 15:45:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

Most workers in the United Kingdom who are over compulsory school leaving age (and those who ordinarily work in the United Kingdom) are entitled to be paid at least National Minimum Wage rates.

This includes casual workers, people on zero hours contracts and agency workers.

There is also a higher rate called the National Living Wage.

Workers should be paid this if they are 23 or older and entitled to the National Minimum Wage.

It is against the law not to pay, or pay below the National Minimum Wage or National Living Wage.

If you are unable to resolve this issue with your employer, you should contact the Acas helpline to discuss the options available to you.




You must be signed in to post in this forum.