Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 29 Dec 2021 21:14:22 GMT by TLERLiam
Hi, I had my laptop stolen where I did all my payroll stuff for my Ltd company so I've downloaded basic paye tools onto my desktop, put in my company details, but it's not carried over the details of my submissions and payments to my desktop, it's just blank, like I've started a new company or something. I need this information for my records, is there any way to tell the software to migrate the information to the new computer? I would have thought this age of cloud storage means I could access this information on any device but it doesn't seem to be the case.
Posted Tue, 04 Jan 2022 13:02:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 10

In order to restore your previous details held, you would need to have taken a back up of your previous Basic Tools on to an external hard drive e.g. a USB stick.

If you have not done this, then you will not be able to access your previous data.

You can, however, recreate your payroll using your previous payslips etc.

Should you need assistance with recreating your payroll on Basic Tools, please contact our Online Services Helpdesk on 0300 200 3600.  

If you have lost all of your payroll records, you will need to contact the Employer Helpline on 0300 200 3200 to request HMRC send copies to you. 


Posted Mon, 24 Oct 2022 13:06:44 GMT by woodlands pre school centre
have just joined this forum - hard drive on laptop i use for payroll had to be replaced and i have lost all my data for this tax year and will be doing payroll this week. i have paper records of gross pay and pension and should be able to recreate the data for months 1-6 but how do i deal with not submitting those which have already been submitted.
Posted Tue, 25 Oct 2022 09:41:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
You would just rebuild the submissions,so enter the figures into each pay period but dont send them and then send your next normal FPS which will pull that information over to HMRC.
If you dont have the breakdown, call the employers helpline on 0300 200 3200 and ask to recreate "lost payroll records" the adviser should be able to request the information we hold is posted out to you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.