Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 06 Jan 2023 12:05:02 GMT by
For the tax years 21-22, and for 22-23, I am reported as having been employed by companies (in addition to my actual employer) which I have never been employed by. I filed a complaint with HMRC and was told I need to contract my employers directly - but they are not // have never been my employers. I am concerned that this is fraudulent behaviour and will impact my financial position. Please advise - the HMRC website does not allow for removing an employer (only for changing the date of employment).
Posted Wed, 11 Jan 2023 12:53:28 GMT by
Hi Meghana Duggirala,

If you contact our helpline again and advise clearly that you have never worked for these employers, we can refer this on to be investigated.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you. 

Posted Mon, 27 Feb 2023 10:41:24 GMT by
A month later, I have received a form from HMRC to fill in the details of my employers. However, they also ask to "Send us confirmation given by the Department for Work and Pensions of your National Insurance number." I assumed this would be the NI letter which is printable on tax services, but this is from HMRC not from DWP. Please advise on what this could be.
Posted Thu, 02 Mar 2023 17:02:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Meghana Duggirala,

You will need to contact the DWP to request this.

Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 02 Mar 2023 17:14:37 GMT by
Please let me know how I am meant to contact DWP to procure this. There is no form or contact on their website for any such request. I have been trying to sort this issue out with HMRC for many months and there has been very little clarity on the process to follow, as the instructions have been vague and its taken a very long time to get any response. This has affected my tax code for years.
Posted Tue, 07 Mar 2023 14:08:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

You can contact them on 0800 055 6688

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:58:35 GMT by lucy_dingle
this is happening to me too. unknown companies are on my employment and date back to 2021! have you had any luck in sorting this? i’m so worried that it’s fraudulent behaviour.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2024 21:16:14 GMT by Nat Ngan
This happening to me too, In February 2024, I discovered that a company I've never recognized reported me as an employee, in addition to my actual employer. Despite contacting HMRC, I was instructed to reach out to these supposed employers directly, whom I've never worked for and have no means to contact. This situation is highly suspicious, compounded by the fact that the registered company address seems dubious. I fear this fraudulent activity will adversely affect my financial standing. I wish I can expose the details of this "company" and for other as reference.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.