Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 22 Apr 2022 10:04:37 GMT by HP
Yesterday I updated our Basic PAYE Tools. Since then it doesn't run. It starts up and the icon comes up on the screen for a short while and then goes. it never gets round to starting. I have done a diagnostic check and it reports: "ImportError: No module named win32com.client"
Posted Sun, 24 Apr 2022 14:34:18 GMT by Mike Smith
I'm having the same problem having downloaded the latest 2022-23 version for Macs. The installation goes in okay, but when I try to run it hangs and I get a message that the software is not responding. I've tried several times, rebooting between attempts. Since this software is needed to pay staff this Wednesday, can someone at HMRC please advise how I should proceed?
Posted Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:57:29 GMT by Philip Burchill
Similar problem.

[Post amended - Admin]
Posted Mon, 25 Apr 2022 12:56:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

You can find the minimum computer specification Basic PAYE Tools (BPT) has been tested on here:

Download HMRC's Basic PAYE Tools

This is not necessarily the minimum specification that BPT will run on, however running BPT on a computer below this specification may cause issues with the software in which case we may not be able to help.

From April 2022, BPT will no longer operate in a 32-bit environment and if employers wish to continue using BPT they will need to ensure their computer and operating system software can run 64-bit applications. More information can be found in the 'What's new' section of BPT.

We no longer support BPT for users of Windows XP and Vista.

We no longer support BPT for users of earlier Mac operating systems (such as OSX). Any users trying to open BPT on MAC OSX will likely receive a rti Error and the software will not open.

If you cannot open BPT on yourApple Mac computer and you receive no errors, please try the following steps:
  • select the Apple logo in the top left-hand corner of the screen
  • select 'Restart'
  • untick 'Reopen Windows When Logging Back In'
  • select 'Restart'
  • once the Apple Mac has restarted try opening BPT from the desktop shortcut/alias
  • try and open BPT
If this fails, you can contact us to escalate your case for further investigation.

Technical support with HMRC online services

Thank you.

Posted Mon, 25 Apr 2022 13:49:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

HP,

You will need to speak to our online services helpdesk on 0300 200 3600  .

Thank you.

Posted Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:17:16 GMT by HP
Thank you for your message to call 0300 200 3600. I have just called this number and gone through the various menus to get to the part about Basic PAYE Tools. However whilst waiting for someone to answer me, your system told me that they were sorry but everyone was too busy to take my call. They then disconnected me. Please can you advise me what to do next?
Posted Mon, 25 Apr 2022 16:45:06 GMT by Philip Burchill
Re: 'Similar problem' (on Ubuntu 20.04.4): problem went away after powering down, powering back up and re-booting.
Posted Mon, 25 Apr 2022 18:12:30 GMT by Mike Smith
My Mac is well in spec and running MAC OS 12 - Monterey - absolutely up to date and fully patched. I tried restarting and reinstalling Basic PAYE Tools about a dozen times yesterday, and downloaded a fresh version of the Zip file before every attempt. There is something fundamentally wrong with the download, and sitting on the phone for hours and then being disconnected (yes it happened to me too!) isn't going to put it right. I say again - if there is a fix available by phoning Tech Support, post the fix or correct the fault in the software. HMRC is the software provider - it's not my responsibility to correct the fault, it's HMRC's.
Posted Mon, 25 Apr 2022 19:52:18 GMT by HP
I have just managed to get the updated version of Basic PAYE Tools working again. I saved the backups in a separate folder - everytime you exit the program it does a backup. I then uninstalled the BPT programs from the computer including deleting all the data (because I had already saved it elsewhere. I then re-installed the latest version of BPT and started it. It started normally but obviously had no data. I then restored the data from when it was used at the end of March 2022. I have briefly looked through the data now and it looks correct... so.... I hope that's of some help. Incidently the info I got from the diagnostic thing ( "ImportError: No module named win32com.client") turns out to be completely irrelevant. Even though I now have a working version... I ran the diagnostic thing out of interest to see if it reported anything. It still reports the win32.com thing. But my BPT is working again thank goodness.
Posted Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:59:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi Mike Smith,

Please try the steps below:
  • select the Apple logo in the top left-hand corner of the screen and 'Restart'
  • untick 'Reopen Windows When Logging Back In'
  • select 'Restart'
  • once the Apple Mac has restarted select 'Go' at the top of the screen
  • select 'Home'
  • a new window will open please check to see if an 'HMRC' folder exists
If the folder is present, please contact the Online Services Helpdesk for further investigation

If the folder is not present: 
  • create a folder by selecting 'File' at the top of the screen then 'New Folder' - or press Shift+Command+N
  • name the folder
  • try opening BPT from the desktop shortcut/alias
If you still cannot open, please contact the Online Services Helpdesk for further investigation

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 22 May 2022 10:52:09 GMT by David Baldwin
I have exactly the same issue running on Windows 11. I contacted the helpdesk who took me through steps to remove the database reinstall, then recover from the last backup. This worked fine. However, after one use, we are back to where we were - the splash screen comes on for about 2 seconds and disappears. I can get it to work by following the advice each time, but this clearly has a bug. Please advise if anyone is aware of a fix?
Posted Tue, 24 May 2022 13:24:34 GMT by Ryan Glass
I have the same issue running Windows 10. I have downloaded followed the recommendations and downloaded latest version and still it hangs on startup. I also get the splash screen and task manager shows a lot of activity which then goes to zero CPU use and the splash screen dissappears.
Posted Wed, 25 May 2022 11:17:13 GMT by Andrew Williams
Hi David Baldwin,

If you are still experiencing issues then you will need to contact the Online Services Helpdesk where we can escalate your problem.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 25 May 2022 11:23:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Ryan Glass
Please  call  the Oline Services Help Desk (OSH) so we can run through some checks & if necessary we can escalate to Tier 2 for further support.
Thankyou.
Regards.
Posted Tue, 01 Nov 2022 18:20:48 GMT by Erik.S
Hello, BPT (latest version 22.1.22165.249) has stopped to print or save anything after updating MacBook to McOS Ventura 13.0. Could someone give some advice how to fix this issue?
Posted Wed, 02 Nov 2022 14:39:39 GMT by
Hi Erik.S,

Please contact our Online Services Helpdesk for help with your enquiry.

Contact details here: 

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.