Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 29 May 2024 15:52:35 GMT by Francesca Taylor
Hi, I am a UK Citizen, I work remotely in digital marketing the UK for my current UK based employer. I want to travel to South Africa for one month to visit my boyfriend who lives there and is a South African national. I want to continue working remotely for my UK employer while staying for less than sixty days in South Africa. My employers have no problem with this but are concerned about tax implications for them/me. Would I be able to just continue working as normal as I'm only there as a tourist for a short time and I'm not entering the South African job market/looking for work while there? Thank you!
Posted Sun, 02 Jun 2024 17:23:36 GMT by Maulidina Revliany
Hi, I am an Indonesian and have lived in the UK for 2 and a half years under the Graduate visa scheme. I am currently working in a UK-based market research company. I plan to work remotely from Indonesia this October and will not return to the UK for quite a while. I want to continue working remotely for my UK employer for a long period. My employers have no problem with this but are concerned about tax implications for them/me. I have found a document in the HMRC section about the double taxation agreement between Indonesia and the UK but still not sure how this will work as there are so many articles as well, which I wanted to double check on this forum. Would I be able to just continue working as normal as I'm going to exit the UK and I'm not looking to go back anytime soon? Thank you!
Posted Mon, 03 Jun 2024 11:13:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Francesca Taylor,

You would still be tax resident in the UK and be liable to tax on this income in the UK. There is nothing that your employer needs to do, just continue to run their payroll as normal.  Please have a look at article 14(2)(A) & (B) of the tax treaty regarding employment income:

UK/South Africa Double Taxation Convention

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 05 Jun 2024 13:00:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Maulidina,
Please refer to:
Tax on your UK income if you live abroad
Thank you. 
Posted Sat, 08 Jun 2024 17:39:44 GMT by laffittem
Good afternoon HMRC team, I am a French citizen (EU). I am based in the UK, resident since 2015 and I have a Settled-Status right-to-remain. Currently, I am a PAYE for a UK-based company, and I pay all my taxes/pension in the UK. In 2025, I am moving back to France. My UK-based company employer confirmed that I will keep my job, and due to the nature of my job, I can perform this fully remotely from France. Nevertheless, I need your guidance for the questions below: Question 1: What my employer should do with HMRC for my case? I read things about NI code and not have me on the payroll? Question 2: How should I proceed from an employee point of view? I assume I will fill in P85 when I leave the UK. Then pay my taxes in France (EU), which I will inquire how to do with the French tax department. So what type of amount of money should end up on my French bank account if I have to pay my taxes in France? As of now, the money ending up on my UK bank account is post-tax... Question 3: What is a NT taxe code? Do I have to do double taxation (there is a deal between FR-UK)... Many thanks in advance... Kind regards
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2024 17:46:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi laffittem,
Please refer to guidance at Tax on your UK income if you live abroad
Thank you.

Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2024 11:15:23 GMT by agarg
Hello, I need to go to India for a month. And will be required to work. I work at a UK based company. Will there be any tax implications in this scenario?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.