Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 09 Aug 2023 08:27:47 GMT by
Hello, I am fully UK tax resident and I work for a company here in the UK, apart from being an UK citizen I am also an EU citizen. At the moment I am working remotely from UK home address because is like that how my contract is stablish. I am going through some mental health issues and I was wondering if there is a way where I can work temporary (3 months) from Spain. My company doesn't allow that so I was wondering if I can request due my mental health conditions. Can you help me? Thanks
Posted Tue, 15 Aug 2023 12:12:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Begui Ami
That is not for HMRC to confirm as its between you and your employer
Posted Mon, 21 Aug 2023 08:41:15 GMT by
Hi, My friend is moving to Morocco, but will still be employed by a UK company working completely remotely. Can the business continue to pay into their UK bank PAYE where they will pay UK tax, or do they need to consider tax laws in Morocco? Please can you advise on anything we should be aware of? Thanks!
Posted Thu, 24 Aug 2023 07:34:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Detail Rec,
If an individual moves overseas on a long term basis and  becomes tax resident in the overseas country, but continues to work remotely for a UK employer, it is likely that the other country will tax his employment income.
Employees who spend most of their time abroad over a period of a year or more may be able to obtain full UK tax relief on their earnings by completing form P85 and sending it to HMRC who will confirm the tax code to use
For more information on what is expected of employers and employees in this kind of situation, please refer to the following guidance:
Employees working abroad
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 25 Aug 2023 16:05:10 GMT by
Hi, I possess a British passport, although I was not born in the United Kingdom. I engage in remote work for my Hong Kong-based company, which means that my earnings are considered foreign income. I spend approximately half to two-thirds of my time in the UK, while the remainder is split between Hong Kong and other countries. In addition to the UK, I maintain a permanent address in Hong Kong. I am aware that I am regarded as a tax resident in the UK, but I would appreciate clarification regarding the necessity of paying National Insurance (NI). If it is not required, could you kindly inform me of the process for obtaining an exemption?
Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 10:56:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
You should request a liability decision from our International Caseworker team, they will decide where the customer is liable to pay any national insurance contributions.
Write to 
PT Operations North East England
HM Revenue and Customs,
And include
•    their full name 
•    their National Insurance Number 
•    their date of birth 
•    the date they left the UK - if applicable
•    their most recent UK address 
•    their address abroad – if applicable 
•    the type of work they do 
•    their company name and address – UK and abroad
•    where their contract is held 
•    how often they work in the UK
•    their normal working pattern (the days, weeks or months they regularly work)
Thank you.
Posted Sat, 30 Sep 2023 17:14:21 GMT by
Hello, I am a UK citizen by birth currently employed by a UK charity. My husband will start a job in the US next year and I plan to accompany him on a work visa, however I want to keep my job in the UK and work remotely with regular trips back to the UK and work travel elsewhere. I plan on being out of the country on and off for 1 year. Could I still be paid by my UK employer into my UK bank account? Would double taxation agreements apply to me on my UK salary? Thanks
Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2023 10:45:45 GMT by Mariya PrAnd
Hello, I'm an EU citizen, based in my home country (Bulgaria). I'm currently in contact with several UK employers regarding potential employment, however neither I nor the employers are aware of how we should be taxed. I will be working remotely for a UK employer (based in the UK with no representation in Bulgaria) and will be on the payroll, I will be based in and only work in my home country. I have never visited the UK and don't have a NI number. Can you let me know what taxes will be applicable to me and to my employer and what forms should be submitted by both? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 05 Oct 2023 13:31:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Megan,

This depends on your tax residence from when or if you move. We cannot comment on future events, but based on current guidlines, refer to:

Tax on your UK income if you live abroad

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 06 Oct 2023 06:16:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Mariya PrAnd,
As you are not resident and do not intend to live in the UK to carry out the work, no tax is due here.
It should all be reported in Bulgaria. there is no need for the employer to include you on the payroll.
If they do, they should operate a code of NT (NO TAX).
Thank you. 

Posted Mon, 06 Nov 2023 14:13:27 GMT by
Hi I am an Indian National living in UK since May 2019 on the Type of Visa - Dependant Partner Leave to Remain which is valid till March 2025. I have been working for a UK employer since April 2023 who operates PAYE. I am leaving UK permanently at the end of November 2023. Am I permitted to continue working remotely for my employer from India?
Posted Tue, 07 Nov 2023 22:34:04 GMT by
Hello good afternoon, I work remotely for a UK employer in the UK , I have been living in the country for 5 years and recently have been granted settled status. I am aware that I can work abroad for 183 days each tax year, and I was wondering if these were stackable. For example, could I work abroad from January 2024 and come back to UK in October 2024, since it would be 4 months from the 2023 taxation year (Jan to April) and 183 days from the 2024 taxation year (April-October) Thanks!
Posted Wed, 08 Nov 2023 10:37:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Yes you could work abroad April - October but this would cover 2 tax years and you would need to ensure that
the 183 days in the UK was met for each tax year  .

Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 08 Nov 2023 11:42:56 GMT by
Hi thank you for the reply, just to confirm this since I want to be 100% sure it is legal. It is possible then to be abroad for 90+183=273 days in a row (Jan-October) since it's 2 different taxation years. Thank you and sorry for asking again but I want to be 100% sure that I won't lose my taxation residency so I don't get my company in trouble. I won't be staying in the same country for more than 3 months when abroad to not become a tax residence.
Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 11:13:00 GMT by
Hi I am an Indian Citizen living in UK since May 2019 on the Type of Visa - Dependant Partner Leave to Remain which is valid till March 2025. I have been working for a UK employer since April 2023 who operates PAYE. I am leaving UK permanently at the end of November 2023. Am I permitted to continue working remotely for my employer from India? Will Tax be deducted in UK or should I be paying tax only in India? Any help in this regard is highly appreciated. Many Thanks!!
Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 11:34:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Lakshmi Mohan Kartha,
You will have been given a list of what you can and cannot do when your successful visa application was sent to you.
You may not be able to continue working for a UK employer and should therefore check the VISA regulations that were given.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 16:12:07 GMT by
I am an employer. Our only employee works 100% abroad. If we obtain a s690 direction from HMRC, saying not to deduct PAYE does that mean we don't need to register a UK payroll. It seem pointless to set up a payroll and submit nil returns.
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 07:03:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Juan Higuera Gomez,
We cannot advise on this, in this forum.
You would need to contact the Self Assessment helpline on 0300 200 3310, for a more detailed answer.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 11:29:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Andrew Marshall,
You would need to establish if tax or NI is due, you may need to still operate a payroll even if tax isnt due.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 13:04:41 GMT by Mikel Stareyshinski
Hi, I'm a Bulgarian resident who has a British passport and have been working remotely for a UK company since July. My employer applied for a S690 Direction as I will be working inside and outside of the UK. I can see the form has now been accepted on my personal online tax account and I'm currently receiving two payslips - one with tax deductions (PAYE only on the percentage of my earnings for my work in the UK) and another payslip has a NT tax code on it. I'm so relieved that this has been sorted and my UK taxes are now correct. However, please could you advise if/when HMRC reports my earnings to the Bulgarian authority or if I need to declare my income myself? Many thanks!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.