Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 30 Jun 2022 05:55:14 GMT by hargi 01
I am a UK resident and work remotely at home for a European Medical company (computer-based work). To be paid by them, I had to set myself up as a company. I am planning to move to Portugal (to continue the same work from home) and have two questions; - can my company remain in the UK if I am abroad? - if so, I have been told I could be paid in dividends to be taxed in Portugal and in the UK this would be ‘disregarded income’ and not taxed here. Is this correct and is there an annual limit? If anyone can advise, I would be very grateful.
Posted Fri, 22 Jul 2022 14:52:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi hargi 01,

If your company is no longer carrying out any trade in the UK and all trading/activities of the company are taking place in Portugal then it is possble that your company may be deemed to have migrated to Portugal.  
If this is the case guidance can be found in HMRC's CTM34100 - Residence: outward company or permanent establishment migration: contents onwards.  
Your question in relation to your company paying you dividends and the implications for your tax position as an individual in Portugal could be perceived as a tax planning type question and HMRC cannot offer any advice on tax planning.  For this question you may wish to seek professional advice.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.