Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 26 May 2021 15:27:34 GMT by J173SH 8A1A
I’m being interviewed by a reputable company based in India to be their the sole employee here in London. Can they pay me salary from their India account to my bank account here in the UK or do they have to have a bank account in the UK too?
Posted Fri, 28 May 2021 14:23:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

How they pay you will be between you and them.

However if you are UK resident, regardless of where this is paid, the income would need to be declared to the UK through Self Assessment.

Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 23 Nov 2021 09:03:56 GMT by Lincoln3
Hi, I have the same question here and read the reply that the oversea income should declared through Self Assessment. Then I have a question should I pay the income tax and NI by DPNI scheme or through Self Assessment for the oversea salary income? If it should be through Self Assessment, then I should make a DCNI scheme for the NI? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 23 Nov 2021 11:43:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

You can either chose to report the income through self assessment or if you also want to pay national insurance then you can consider the DPNI scheme.

You would not do both.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 23 Nov 2021 19:40:11 GMT by Lincoln3
Hi, Thank you for your answer. If I report through self assessment but want to pay national insurance as well, should I do it by the direct collection (employee only NICs)? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 25 Nov 2021 14:41:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 28
Hi,

You would need to speak to the National Insurance team regarding this.

National Insurance: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 26 Nov 2021 09:24:58 GMT by Lincoln3
Thank you for your reply.
Posted Thu, 10 Mar 2022 04:43:58 GMT by Lincoln3
Hi, Follow up to the previous question: If I report through self-assessment but want to pay national insurance as well, should I do it by the direct collection (employee only NICs)? After checking with NI team, they told me I need to perform a Direct Payment Scheme (DCNI) for paying the employee class 1 NI and provide me the employer PAYE reference with accounts office reference. But I find that in the HMRE free payroll software Basic PAYE Tools, it seems it is a must for paying the NI and income tax together. I cannot just pay the NI part. Is it a way to just pay the NI part or I should do is paying the NI and income tax first and do the self-assessment separately? Which one is correct? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 14 Mar 2022 09:12:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You can either set up this scheme which will cover both your tax and National Insurance or you can speak to the National Insurance office about paying voluntary National Insurance if you are looking to top this up.

They can be contacted here:

National Insurance: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 18 Mar 2022 06:32:19 GMT by Lincoln3
Hi, Thank you for the answer. Just another question about the pension. While I input information in the Basic PAYE Tools, for the salary part it has 'Employee pension contributions'. For my case, my pension contribution deduct in every payment in Hong Kong. For example my salary is $100 and within that 5% will be the pension contribution so I will get $95. So in my case, where should I input my contribution in the PAYE tools, Pension contributions paid under 'net pay arrangement' or Pension contributions paid not under 'net pay arrangement'? OR for oversea pension contribution is not necessary to report in the PAYE tools? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 18 Mar 2022 15:05:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Lincoln3,

If you are reporting this as an employer you will need to speak to our employers helpline regarding this:

Employers: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 27 Apr 2022 03:42:17 GMT by gorwai88
Hi HMRC Admin, On the flip side, does it mean for these situation I have a choice to NOT contribute NI, and just file annually through self assessment? Thanks
Posted Tue, 03 May 2022 14:08:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Without knowing your current employment and residence circumstances, we are unable to advise you regarding National Insurance contributions.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.