Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 05 Oct 2023 10:56:14 GMT by
Hi, If for some technical reason, an employer was unable to submit a P46 in the correct tax year, and consequently has to go back and make a P11D correction because a new car/replacement was not reported. Will correcting the P11D in the previous tax year be sufficient for notifying HMRC of the new vehicle? or does a P46 still need to be submitted? There is no option via the gateway account to submit P46s in the previous tax year and can only be done in the current tax year. However, if the car was made available on a date in the previous tax year, what is the way to record this date, as the form in the current tax year does not allow you to proceed if the vehicle available date is before 06/04/2023. Therefore, is it correctly understood that the P11D correction from the previous tax year will update the employees tax code and there would then be no need to file a P46 in this tax year unless there have been any changes to their most recent vehicle (notified on the P11D) or they receive a new one? Many thanks.
Posted Tue, 10 Oct 2023 13:30:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You are correct in your thinking, a P46 car is only to be used to tell HMRC of changes to a company car in the current tax year.

If a new car was provided and a P46 car was not submitted at the time or in the tax year of change, the P11D submission following the end of the tax year will capture the changes and allow HMRC to update the employee record with the nex car. This may of course lead to an incorrect amount of income tax having been paid by the employee during the year in which the change took place.

Upon receipt of the P11D the Personal Tax records will carry out a reconciliation on earnings and benefits provided, based on the P11d & P60, and anomalies with tax will be notified to the employee. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.