Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 12 Apr 2022 10:07:17 GMT by Sue MacDowall
So I have one lad working for me who is self employed. Do I enter his wages under 'allowable expenses' and is it then up to him to do his own self assessment? I am a sole trader and its the first time I have had someone helping me out. thanks
Posted Tue, 12 Apr 2022 15:33:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 10

If you're hiring a worker and you have established they are classed as self employed for their engagement with you, you wouldnt be entering their information on any payroll software, employer records etc.

You would be paying them gross when they invoice you and they would be responsible for reporting self employed earnings.

Self assessment helpline could give them advice on what they are required to do.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say 'allowable expenses'.

I believe you may be referring to your self assessment reporting, again self assessment would be able to help you with this.

The most important thing I would stress here is it is your responsibility to ensure you hire the worker under the correct status - as employed or self employed.

There is a tool called CEST, you can use this to determine if the worker should be classed as employed or self employed for the engagement with you.

This can be found at:

Check employment status for tax



You must be signed in to post in this forum.