Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 17 Jun 2022 13:15:45 GMT by Inter
Hello everyone, I hope someone can help me. I have an employee who had a crash with his motorbike and he will be off work for at least 6 weeks. for the June pay period, he asked if he can have half of this month paid as SSP and the rest paid as Holiday pay. He has not yet taken any holidays since his leave year started in February 2022 On ACAS website it says that you cannot have SSP and Holiday at the same time. Please clarify if that means for the same days or SSP and Holiday within the same pay period?
Posted Mon, 20 Jun 2022 10:42:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Holiday pay if paid at the same time as SSP can be dealt with in 2 ways -

1) If you are paying accrued holiday pay, then it is paid in full and the SSP is also paid in full.

2) If the Holiday pay is for the same period as SSP - The holiday pay is allocated to specific weeks / days then the holiday pay
can be offset from SSP or paid in full- SSP is paid in full  .

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 04 Jul 2022 14:30:17 GMT by Sean Leeman
Does point 2 mean that is holiday pay is normally £60 and ssp is £19.87 that you could pay £40.13 holiday pay and £19.87 ssp?
Posted Tue, 05 Jul 2022 14:03:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Yes, that is correct.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 29 Jul 2022 12:17:21 GMT by Mandy Spencer
Hi What would you advice if an employee asks for accrued annual leave to be paid whilst in half pay (occupational pay and in receipt of SSP)? Would an offset (of somekind) still need to be made due to stop employees receiving a higher salary whilst on sick? Thanks
Posted Fri, 29 Jul 2022 17:01:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Mandy Spencer
HMRC can only advise on the SSP.
As long as your business pays the statutory amount then paying extra would not be an issue.
An example of this can be shown when employers offer employers "enhanced Sick Pay", they are still paying SSP but they just top it up.
Thankyou.
Regards.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.