Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 14 Sep 2022 17:46:34 GMT by Lee Matthews
HI, Our business has now been running for two and a half years and we have gone from 2 to 5 employees. We use Xero for our accounting and Payroll and connected to HMRC from the start and have reported our Payroll directly this way. I have recently been informed of the Employment Allowance and have changed my Xero setup to claim for this in the 2022 / 23 tax year. What is unclear, and I have searched every advice article I can find, how do I make a claim for the previous two tax years? I'm not after a refund as I am happy with HMRC rolling the allowance forward as stated in the helpful guidance. I just cant find a form to fill out or anyone else discussing this. (I fear I must be missing something). If you have applied for this for your company, or you know how I can do this, I would be grateful for your advice. Regards, Lee
Posted Wed, 21 Sep 2022 16:22:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Lee Matthews,

You would send us an EBS claiming the Employment Allowance for the previous years.
You may need to contact Xero for advice on how to do this.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 22 Sep 2022 22:20:46 GMT by Lee Matthews
Thank you 'HMRC Admin 20' for your reply, I'd like to be able to say, 'you have helped me', but unfortunately you haven't. What I'm really looking for is the 'How To' with my issue. What you have given me is a new TLA, which when I have looked this up has provided four different meanings none of which have any connection to my request for help. Surely you can see I am not as well educated as yourself and that I need a few more lines of hand holding information to make it clear what I need to do. 1) If the EBS is anything to do with the electronic transfer of data between my accounting system, (Xero), and the HRMC then you have had this information every month since we opened. In the web guidance it states if the information has already been provided I am not required to send it again. (I don't know if this is correct). 2) If I am to send a claim for the previous years where do I send it, which department deals with the allowance and is there a person I should address it too? 3) What details from our company, our accounts and myself are required on my claim to make this process easier? 4) For everything sent to HMRC, that I've come across to date, there has been a form to fill in, are you saying this is not the case and I am to just write a letter? I will ask Xero again for help, but first they have asked me to find out what exactly HRMC require and then they can show me where it exists so I can provide it for my Employment Allowance claim. If you at HRMC, or anyone else, can provide some guidance on this I would be very grateful, Thank you for your time at looking into my question and your assistance. Regards, Lee
Posted Mon, 26 Sep 2022 12:29:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

In order to claim Employment Allowance you send HRMC a submission through your payroll software called an Employment Payment Summary or EPS, sorry for the confusion a misprint has caused in your previous reply.

We cannot advise in detail how to do this in a third party software such as yours but it may be check box which allows you to state that you are claiming the employment allowance.

You should be able to go back into previous tax years and claim it in the same way. We are sorry we cannot be of more help but you may have to speak to Xero for advice on how to do this in their software.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 15 Oct 2022 08:12:07 GMT by Lee Matthews
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.