Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 20 Apr 2023 14:59:47 GMT by tekue
Hi, An employer is refusing to reissue an incorrect P60. They forgot to add P45 values from the last employment. Is HMRC able to correct this for me because they have told me they cannot do anything about this or re-issue. They advised me to speak to HMRC to correct. Thanks
Posted Thu, 27 Apr 2023 10:26:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

P60s are only issued by your employer, as long as the pay & tax figures for that employment are correct there is no need to add on the previous employment figures to it.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 27 Apr 2023 10:31:00 GMT by tekue
I thought that the P60 total earnings for the year was used for tax returns though? Proof of total amount paid for the year for an individual. Currently the P60 shows a total earnings that is a lot lower than I actually was paid (since the previous employers pay was not included) Thanks
Posted Thu, 04 May 2023 14:00:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi tekue,

Earnings are reported to HMRC by each separate employer.

The P60 form shows the earnings from one employer.

You should have a P60 or P45 for each employment.

Guidance can be found here: 

P45, P60 and P11D forms: workers' guide

Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 08 Sep 2023 19:31:19 GMT by cross_entropy
What happens if the tax code in P60 is different because the new employer didn't account for the previous income? Does HMRC adjust it in the next years and we aren't in an obligation?
Posted Mon, 11 Sep 2023 14:12:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
If a new employer didnt have a P45 when the employee started they may use a different tax code.
The new employer should have used the starter checklist to establish which tax code to use.
If this has resulted in an underpayment of tax then HMRC may adjust the tax code going forward to recover this however we would advise the employee to contact Personal Tax on 0300 200 3300 to discuss this further.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.