Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 02 Dec 2022 15:42:53 GMT by marcog
Hello, I used to live in the uk three years ago and now live and work in Spain. I would like to exercise some options from my previous employer when I was living in the uk (uk company). Do I need to pay income tax on the market value of the shares in the uk? Do I need to declare anything in the uk? Thanks
Posted Tue, 06 Dec 2022 14:10:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Non Resident Capital Gains (NRCG) generally only applies to the direct or indirect disposals of UK property or land. Please refer to the following guidance:           
Tell HMRC about Capital Gains Tax on UK property or land if you’re not a UK resident                                                                    

CG73920 - NRCG and the exemptions: Disposals from 6 April 2019: Introduction

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 06 Dec 2022 14:37:24 GMT by marcog
Hey exercising options (ie buying shares of a company for a set price) is not about capital gains. Rather income tax. Notice the company is private and I cannot sell the shares. Do I need to pay income tax and on which amount? Is there a tax relief and do I need to declare anything?
Posted Thu, 08 Dec 2022 14:55:15 GMT by
Hi marcog,

You can take a look at EIM11875.

It advises that where an employee is granted a right to acquire shares under a plan that is not part of the scheme approved by HMRC, then there will be a potential tax charge, when the option is exercised, assigned or realeased.

EIM11875 - PAYE: special type of income: gains from share options

Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.