Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 13 Jun 2021 13:04:19 GMT by benuix
Dear HMRC team, I applied for a certificate of residence about a month ago (18 May 2021). The reason was that I moved to Greece and need to prove my tax residence up to 2020. In the certificate application I provided my Greek address. The application was processed and it was completed about a week after that. However, the certificate did not arrive to neither my Greek nor UK address. Today I checked my GOV.UK account details, and noticed that my address was changed to the Greek one. However there was a typo in the Greek postcode, which happened from the HMRC side. I checked my original certificate of residence application and the postcode there was correct. How should I proceed? Is it possible for HMRC to re-send the certificate to the correct address? In the meantime I corrected the address and submitted a new certificate of residence application. Thank you very much.
Posted Tue, 15 Jun 2021 10:24:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If you have corrected you address and have applied again for the Certificate of Residence,  
when this is processed  it will be sent out to the address we hold .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 15 Jun 2021 10:33:16 GMT by benuix
That's great, thank you for the prompt reply
Posted Wed, 20 Oct 2021 07:20:50 GMT by faye pasvouri
Hi there, I live and work in the UK. I have applied for a certificate of residence three months ago and I have received nothing instead, neither on my greek nor on my Uk address. I need to do the tax relief in my country otherwise they will tax me there too while I have no income in Greece. I have also posted an online complaint (about a month ago) about which I have received no response yet. What is happening with HMRC? I am really mad and frustrated and as a last resort I will assign a lawyer to deal with this issue. It is crazy since I have called HMRC in August and they reassured me that they will re-send the letter, but they never send anything. I am waiting for over three months now. Why? Will you pay the double taxation in Greece for me when this happens? My name is Foteini Pasvouri and I really want to deal with this issue now.
Posted Wed, 20 Oct 2021 16:17:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 9
Hi, 

You may wish to contact us direct to find out why this has happened.

We would be unable to comment on why this has happened without access to your record. Please contact us here:

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 14 Dec 2021 11:56:52 GMT by Euan.H942
Hello, I applied recently for a certificate of residence (8th November) and still have not received an email. I lived in UK for almost 3 years working and living, I am an Australian and British national and I am now living in Austria on a visa. I need this certificate only because I havn´t lived here very long and want to start up my own bussiness being self employed. Hope you can help soon, this is the last document I´m waiting on. Best.
Posted Tue, 14 Dec 2021 15:17:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If this was sent online and you got a confirmation email, you will need to contact us to refer this on.

See link:

Income Tax: general enquiries   .

If you sent a request  the expected date for this to be reviewed would be 07/02/22.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 16 Feb 2022 16:40:15 GMT by NikoNiko
Hi I applied online for the Certificate of UK residence 2 weeks ago. How long does it take for it to be processed? I haven't received any emails or anything yet. I am not sure if its in progrees. Can you help? Thanks
Posted Thu, 17 Feb 2022 08:50:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi NikoNiko,

They normally take around 14 working days to get processed.
The reply will then be sent in the post and not via email. 

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 17 Feb 2022 15:46:51 GMT by NikoNiko
Thanks for a swift reply. Does the certificate includes the year from which I started paying tax/became UK resident?
Posted Mon, 21 Feb 2022 11:28:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

This will depend on what was put on your request. We can provide for residency at the present moment or for a specific period in the past.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 25 Feb 2022 10:10:59 GMT by M P
Dear HMRC, I have applied online for the Certificate of tax residence, as I live and work in the Uk (since summer 2020), but I travel a lot abroad and I need this to show to my country of birth (Croatia) so I would not get taxed there on my UK income. I do not have any foreign employment or income. Based on this I would only expect to receive a letter confirming my tax residence, rather than the certificate as I have only UK income. I applied on the 10.02.2022., but have not received anything yet. How can I find out status of my application and will I receive an email response when it is completed. When can I expect an answer from HMRC? Thank you very much and kin regards, 
Posted Tue, 01 Mar 2022 09:17:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Normally these are dealt with within 14 working days but you can contact us here to find an updated status of your request :

Self Assessment: general enquiries  .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 01 Mar 2022 09:43:30 GMT by M P
Thank you for a quick reply. The link above just gave me a blanket estimate of 22.07.2022. by which time I should receive a reply, but there was no mention or ability to choose the actual form for tax residency. Also i have logged into my gov.uk account and the request for certificate of tax residency is not in the progress section. Is this to be expected, as it says not all services are covered by that tracker. Which would be the best number to contact HMRC if i don’t hear anything over next 14 days? Thank you
Posted Wed, 02 Mar 2022 14:06:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi MP

If you have not heard anything within the14 days then please contact us here to find out the status of your certificate:

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thankyou.

Regards.
Posted Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:57:49 GMT by MARIE HORTON
I received an email dated 30.5.21 stating HMRC would respond to my Certificate of Residency request in 25 working days (KMM7354101215977LOKM). I have yet to receive any follow up communication. The tax office in the Falkland Isalnds is waiting for the certificate. Please update on progress as I still have not received a certificate. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 29 Mar 2022 13:04:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

You will need to contact the Income Tax department, we can't access your records from this forum see link:

Income Tax: general enquiries    .

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 31 Mar 2022 15:22:23 GMT by Ro Palmer
Hello. I lived in Greece for many years and receive a Greek widow's pension. I am British and have returned home to live and work in the UK where I am a self-employed teacher. I declare both my pension and my income in the UK. I need to move from the Greek resident's tax office to the foreign tax office. I have made an attempt to do this with a Certificate of Residence from the UK but my application was rejected because they say I need to provide a work contract (impossible as I am self-employed) or a Certificate of Fiscal Residence. Please advise.
Posted Fri, 01 Apr 2022 15:27:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Ro Palmer,

Please apply for your certificate of residence and choose the Online option.
If you declare that you have foreign earnings in Greece on the application this should be processed and issued to your home address

How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad 

Thank you

Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 14:27:41 GMT by Ro Palmer
Thanks for your reply. So I can apply for a CoR online and declare my Greek pension (as on tax declaration) and this should satisfy (in the absence of a job contract) the Greek authorities. Is a certificate of fiscal residence just for companies and not individuals? Thank you, again

You must be signed in to post in this forum.