Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 01 Nov 2022 11:53:39 GMT by BAH
I am living in the UK on a Spouse visa and want to sell my house back in my home country. Will I pay tax on this money when I transfer it to the uk?
Posted Thu, 03 Nov 2022 16:36:50 GMT by

You need to take the residence test, to determine your residence and domicile status.

If you are deemed resident, but not domiciled and you remit the gains to the UK, then you maybe liable to pay capital Gains Tax
There is a calculator at

Tax when you sell your home

This will help you work out the gains or losses.  

You may be entitled to private residence relief, for the period that property was you main residence during the period of ownership.

Guidance on the residency test can be found at:

Guidance note for residence, domicile and the remittance basis: RDR1

If you are liable to pay Capital Gains Tax on the sale of this property, you will need to register for Self Assessment and complete a tax return.

You can register for Self Assessment at:

Register for Self Assessment

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.