Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 06 Mar 2023 01:48:21 GMT by melodyuk
Hi, I removed to the UK alone on 1-Dec-2022. I am umemployed until now, but I am receiving some saving interest in an overseas bank. I used the's "Check your UK residence status" link, which told me I am "not a UK resident for the tax year 2022-2023", because I did not have enough connections to the UK (only stayed in the UK for 130 days, no family, no work). May you please tell me:- 1/ Should I submit any Self Assessment or Tax Return for this year 2022-2023? If yes, which specific form number should be submitted 2/If I find a job on 6 April (1st day of the next tax year), I assume I will become a UK resident on 11 May 2023 for next tax year, because I will then have 2 UK ties (accommodation & work) in 91-120 days. Am I correct? 3/ I assume I will become a UK resident for the next tax year on 2 June 2023 even I may still be unemployed, because by 2 June I have been already staying for over 183 days in UK. Do I understand correctly? 4/ I am receiving some saving interest in the overseas bank. Since I am not a UK resident and the interest is not generated in UK, I assume the interest is not taxable, am I correct? 5/ Are those interest classified as "Clean Capital" before I am a UK resident? Or, they are not "Clean Capital" but only non-taxable? Many thanks for your help!
Posted Tue, 07 Mar 2023 15:40:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

As you are not UK resdient for 2022 to 2023 there is no need for you to submit a tax return unless you are claiming split year treatment. If you qualify for split year then you only report any foreign income for the UK part of the year.

RDRM12000 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment

If you do not qualify then you will need to report all your foreign income to the UK.

Tax on foreign income

The guidance at RDRM12150 at GOV.UK will help you work out if split year treatment applies. 

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 18 Mar 2023 23:59:10 GMT by melodyuk
Thank you for your answer. 1/ Noted I am not a UK resident for the tax year 2022-2023 (only stayed in the UK for 130 days, not only home, no family, no work here). I'm still receiving some saving interests after I arrived in UK. Are these saving interests still treated as "clean capital", until I have sufficient UK ties then become a UK resident and tax payer here? 2/ Do I need to report to HMRC that I am not a UK resident for the tax year 2022-2023 and not qualified for split year? If a report is needed, what is the form number? I'm a bit worried if I do nothing, HMRC may think I try to evade tax. Thank you again for your help.
Posted Thu, 23 Mar 2023 15:36:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi melodyuk,

As a non UK tax resident you will only need to report your income to the country that you are tax resident.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.