Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 16 Mar 2023 04:27:44 GMT by catchingup
I studied and worked overseas (Europe) for 2 years, but since I was young(er) and naive, I didn't think much about paying voluntary NI contributions. I have since learned that "class 2" contributions are available, which are much cheaper than "class 3", and since I have a lot of gaps in my NI record, I would like to know if it is possible to pay the class 2 contributions (in a lump sum) for the years I spent overseas? Those years would have been the tax year 2018-2019 and 2019-2020... I believe I fulfil all the requirements i.e was employed prior to leaving the UK, have 3 years of NI contributions, lived in UK for X number of years, etc. But the form CF83 seems to be directed to those who have either already moved or who are about to...
Posted Wed, 22 Mar 2023 15:27:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi catchingupy,

Thank you for your enquiry.

We can confirm that the CF83 application form is the correct form for you to complete.

You should complete it for the period when you were living and working abroad.

Please enclose a covering letter explaining that you are now back in the UK, but you are applying to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions for a period when you were abroad, providing dates you originally left the UK and the date you returned.

Thank you 

Posted Thu, 23 Mar 2023 00:35:01 GMT by catchingup
Thank you very much for your reply. May I ask if there is some sort of deadline for this?For example, I heard there is a limit as to how many years one can backpay, but the information I read pertained to class 3 contributions. So I would be grateful to know by when I should submit the application, at the latest. Many thanks in advance.
Posted Wed, 29 Mar 2023 13:31:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

The deadline for your CF83 application is 31 July 2023, it needs to be received by HMRC by this date. However, this deadline date only applies if you are wanting to apply to pay for earlier tax years, such as, 2006-2007 to 2016-2017, and it applies to both voluntary class 2 (abroad) and voluntary class 3 National Insurance contributions. 

Thank you.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.