Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 04 Apr 2023 15:29:11 GMT by H Riddle
Hi - I am moving to Spain in September to undertake a Masters. I will apply for a Digital Nomad Visa as I will be earning income whilst abroad from a UK company, which I assume is the right thing, above just a student visa. I currently work for a UK based company and would like to continue working fully remotely Part Time whilst I complete my studies. The academic year is Sep-Sep so if I study abroad only for the year (as is the current plan), I will be over 183 days working in the UK for both tax years 23/24 and 24/25. Please can you advise if I would be taxed as normal through my employer PAYE, pay tax in Spain as a digital nomad resident and then need to complete a P85? Please can you advise
Posted Fri, 14 Apr 2023 09:53:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi H Riddle,

You would pay tax in the UK as it is still a UK employer.
However, you can apply for the NT status when you leave rather than when you return - Get your Income Tax right if you're leaving the UK

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.