Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 14 Mar 2022 22:42:18 GMT by Paul
Hi. I retired early last year aged 52. If I return to work I know any income is liable to income tax including my pension. But as I don't pay national insurance on my pension does the starting point for paying national insurance include my pension therefore paying on all earned income or have some income above pension not liable for income tax. Thanks
Posted Mon, 21 Mar 2022 15:46:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Anyone who is working and is under the state retirement age is liable to pay National Insurance if they earn above the relevant thresholds, details of which can be found here:

How much you pay

National Insurance is calculated differently than tax, so you would be liable to pay National Insurance on all jobs separately.

The income from your pension would not be taken into consideration for Class 1 National Insurance. 

Thank you.

Posted Sat, 03 Dec 2022 19:21:40 GMT by Yvonne 0324
Hello Admin. I am a UK resident. If I earn foreign income (Hong Kong) during financial year of 2022/23, is my foreign income subject to UK National Insurance (NI) contribution? If yes what should I do next to report such? Besides, is such foreign income subject to income tax as well? If yes what should I do to report that? Thanks.
Posted Wed, 07 Dec 2022 16:41:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

Yes, this income is liable for National Insurance. 

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.