Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 18 Mar 2023 19:39:03 GMT by DANILO BARANI
I had some work done on my rental property. The expenses were met by my father. Can I still deduct the expenses from my rental income? Thanks.
Posted Tue, 21 Mar 2023 15:07:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Thank you for your question. 

As it is your Father who has incurred the expenses for the work carried out on the property, you would not be able to deduct these costs
from your rental income.

If however, the property is held in joint names, then the repairs could be deductible against their rental income.

I would also advise that only revenue repairs are deductible, and not capital.

Further information can be found here:

Property Income Manual   .

Thank  you .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.