Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 18 Feb 2023 14:13:59 GMT by
Hi, I want some clarifications. I have recently moved to UK and I am foreign national. My father has to gift me money 500k GBP in the UK accounts dor buying property. He would be gifting money via his company overseas as he is based overseas as well. Would this be fine with hmrc or any implications involved plz advise. Thanks
Posted Thu, 23 Feb 2023 15:27:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

There are no Income Tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends. These would then potentially be subject to tax.  

Further guidance can be found here.

Tax on savings interest

Tax on dividends

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 28 Oct 2023 20:42:20 GMT by
Is there any issue with refernce to tax in UK if Father's is regularly providing family support via his overseas company accounts to son in UK. Does it matter of money is transfered from.personal or company accounts overseas. Kindly provide some guidance. Thanks
Posted Sat, 28 Oct 2023 21:39:47 GMT by
And do we need to declare these cash gifts or support money please advise. Thanks
Posted Mon, 30 Oct 2023 10:45:15 GMT by Chetan Kashinath
Dear HMRC Officer, I am a British citizen by naturalisation and am of Indian origin. My parents in India wanted to make a cash gift to me in the near future to the amount of £100,000. I understand from your previous answer that this is tax free unless it generates interest in the UK. My questions are... 1. Can I use this money towards paying some of my house mortgage in the UK? 2. If some of the money is put into my son's Junior ISA, will the interest generated be taxed? Could you please answer these questions for me? Many thanks 
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 14:00:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

1. It is your choice how the gift is spent 

2.  Please see eguidance at :

Junior Individual Savings Accounts (ISA) .

Thank you.

Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 14:55:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Arauf222
There would be no UK inheritance tax implications from the cash gifts from the overseas company.  
There would be no UK income tax implications from a cash gift from an overseas company.  
If the gift generated interest or dividends, then the interest and dividends should be declare, as there may be a tax liability.
Posted Thu, 18 Jan 2024 10:43:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Arauf222,
Any tax issues would be in the country your father is resident in, as he is taking money from his company.  
Banks monitor their transfer transactions, for potentail money laundering etc.  
There are no UK tax implications from the transfer of the assets.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.