Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 17 Mar 2023 22:27:34 GMT by Pak Sun LAU
Hi, I relocated to the uk via bno visa into the UK on 1/3/2023 and started working in a uk bank on 13/3/2023. In Uk Tax year 22-23, I worked in Hong Kong from 6/4/2022-3/10/2022 and have already settled all taxes with the Hong Kong inland revenue department for hk tax year which I was working 1/4/2022-3/10/2022). I understand my employer will be PAYE in my march salary. May I get some advice how I should come about filing tax returns ? Thank you very much
Posted Thu, 23 Mar 2023 10:02:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You can see guidance here:

Self Assessment tax returns

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 18 Apr 2023 20:10:06 GMT by Pak Sun LAU
Hi. Thanks for the link. However I am still unclear about this. For tax year 22-23, I worked in Hong Kong for big part of year 6/4-4/10 and have already paid taxes to Hong Kong inland revenue. And because I worked in uk from 13/3-5/4, I have paid thru employer paye for £175. I have to apply for split year treatment?
Posted Wed, 26 Apr 2023 10:01:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Pak Sun LAU,

If you qualify for split year then you only report any foreign income for the UK part of the year.
RDRM12000 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment: Contents.
If you do not qualify then you will need to report all your foreign income to the UK:
Tax on foreign income 
The guidance at RDRM12150 at will help you work out if split year treatment applies. 
Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.