Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 14 Jan 2022 23:27:43 GMT by Michelle noemi Ar
I have a horrible nightmare trying to change the way I get my access code in HMRC app on my new phone but First I need to complete random questions about my credit history. Radon questions that are wrong! I am answering them correctly but I keep on having the same message that ID can not be verified! Is there any other way to change this? I tried to call help line but not able to assist
Posted Mon, 17 Jan 2022 15:13:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi,

In order to reset how you get the code you need to pass the verification questions, if you are unable to do so you will not be able to reset how you get the code.

Thank you.

Posted Thu, 20 Jan 2022 13:18:23 GMT by Jane Glynn-Whitehead
I am experiencing exactly the same issue. It's beyond ridiculous. There must be some understanding from HMRC that people's mobile telephone numbers change. I am already paying tax on my pension but need to pay additional tax on a new part-time job. I genuinely do not know how to get onto the Govt Gateway to do this ????
Posted Fri, 21 Jan 2022 15:53:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

After entering your login details, there is an option to say you are unable to get the access code.

This will take you through the process for changing the access code method.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 21 Jan 2022 18:53:22 GMT by Tedward
I have the same problem. The steps to change access code method does not take into account a UK citizen who lives abroad and does not have a UK address. A thorough search of the gov.uk website, several fruitless web chats, and "expensive" international phone calls have failed to explain how I can confirm my identify in order to change my access code method.
Posted Tue, 25 Jan 2022 10:30:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi,

There is no other way to change the access code.

Thank you.

Posted Mon, 14 Feb 2022 14:24:14 GMT by Laurie Rose
I've committed the heinous sin of getting a new phone so the app that's supposed to issue Access Codes is asking for one. I need 2 of 3 items to proceed; current passport (mine's expired), phone contract (OK but an odd thing for HMRC to know about) and an NI driving licence. Why Northern Ireland? I have no connection whatsoever with NI. What's wrong with my (valid, current) UK one?
Posted Tue, 15 Feb 2022 11:54:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

It will ask about the NI passport as we are able to use that to verify identity,
we don't have the access to verify a UK passport currently.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 17 Feb 2022 16:51:12 GMT by Laurie Rose
"we don't have the access to verify a UK passport currently" Do you mean " ...UK driving licence" as Passport is one of the options I get offered. Still seems odd as the DVLA can access Passport Office data when you update your photocard licence.
Posted Wed, 15 Jun 2022 09:07:26 GMT by Jim_P
I have the same problem, changed my phone number and now I`m effectively locked out of my account. Lived in the UK all my life but an Irish passport holder and don`t hold a NI drivers licence. Had no problem recording my new number with all my banks and other services that require 2 factor authentication, it`s just HMRC that have these ridiculous niche requirements.
Posted Thu, 04 Aug 2022 10:11:23 GMT by Yasmin Bagworth
Same problem as above. We are a business and would like to change one of the phone numbers used to get our access code as this member of staff is leaving. I have tried to do this online, am not even given an option to verify my identity, but receive a message to say I need to call. When I call, my call is ended. Web chat directs me back to calling. Am going round in circles, so when this member of staff leaves and the other member is on holiday, our business will not be able to receive access codes. Please help
Posted Mon, 08 Aug 2022 13:42:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If you are unable to reset the access code method online, you will need to speak with our

Online Services Helpdesk :

Technical support with HMRC online services   .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 27 Sep 2022 16:44:35 GMT by Justin Hubert
Hi, I can't file my tax return because HMRC refuses to give me this access code. I called 3 times to ask for support, absolutely none was given. My phone number has changed and I have no way of retrieving the access code for that reason. This is beyond ridiculous. Justin
Posted Tue, 04 Oct 2022 09:59:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If you are unable to reset the telephone number you are getting the code sent to online, you need to contact our Online Services Helpdesk.

Technical support with HMRC online services

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.