Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 02 Nov 2022 15:32:48 GMT by teerizla
I am currently working in South America but have an agreement with my UK employer to continue working remotely. I am in South America for a duration of time as yet unknown and will likely be returning to the UK in the next 12-18 months. What do 1. myself and 2. my employer need to think about should this remote working relationship continue? Currently the temporary variation of my contract runs to work abroad runs until January. Thanks
Posted Fri, 04 Nov 2022 15:37:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
You may find that you are taxable on your UK income in the country you currently reside in.
You will need to review the guidance at :
Guidance note for residence, domicile and the remittance basis: RDR1
You need to determine your residence status and whether split year treatment applies.
You may find that you are taxable on your UK earnings in the country you are currently resident in.
To claim split year treatment or to declare that you are non resident, you will need to complete a self assessment tax return.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.