Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 14 Nov 2021 18:54:34 GMT by David Balca
Hello There. Hope this email finds you well and safe. I am seeking advice with regards to moving to Portugal for a period of 12 months. My partner is a NHS nurse and she will be given a 52 weeks maternity leave and we have decided to have our baby back in Portugal. Me and my Girlfriend are both Portuguese nationals with Portuguese passports. I have been working in the UK for the last 8 years and my partner works for 5 years in the UK and both have granted settled status. Currently I work for a UK employer based in Lewes , I work for this employer remotely for the past 3 years has I am based in Central London. The employer and myself have questions with regards to how we can work for a period of 12 months or more if I continue to be employed by the company and still work in Portugal and what implications would that bring to both of us. We need to understand from a National Insurance and TAX perspective how we can operate and what do we need to to with regards me working remotely for a period of 12 months and then on a permanent basis if me and my partner decide to stay there permanently after 12 months. Are this topics something you can advise me on? David
Posted Tue, 16 Nov 2021 10:47:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If your employer has any questions from an employers point of view then they would need to contact the employers helpline regarding this.

See link:

Employers: general enquiries   .

For yourself, you can continue to work for the UK company abroad, but where you pay your tax will be determined by your tax residency status.

Please see further guidance on this here :

RDR3 Statutory Residence Test     .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.