Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 04 Feb 2023 22:48:43 GMT by Volodymyr
Hello! I would like to clarify somedetails about taxation of my Ukrainian Income in the UK. I came to the UK by Homes for Ukraine scheme, but I continue to work for Ukrainian company and pay taxes in Ukraine. 1. Should I declare my Ukrainian income if I do not transfer it to my UK bank account? Does is mean that I am not bringing my money to the UK? 2. If I use my card to pay for goods in the UK (from not UK bank account) Does it mean I am not bringing my money tothe UK? 3. Who determines my domicile status? 4. If there any help-line for Ukrainians about taxation? 5. Do I need to get UTR number if I am here in the UK by the Homes for Ukraine scheme? Thank you! Regards, 
Posted Fri, 10 Feb 2023 11:40:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
  1. Any income arising outside the UK, while you are resident or not domiciled in the UK, would only be taxable in the UK, when remitted to the UK, even in a later tax year. For Example, if you are resident / not domiciled in the UK for 2020 to 2021 tax year and you bring into the UK income from 2020 to 2021 in 2022 to 2023 tax year, you would be liable to tax on that income in 2022 to 2023.
  2. Using your foreign bank card to purachse goods and foods etc, would be considered remitting income to the UK and would be taxable. RDRM35020 provides guidance on monies remitted to the UK in this way.  

    RDRM35020 - Remittance Basis: Amounts remitted: Quantification: Conditions A and B - remittances of foreign income or chargeable gains
  3. You do. You will need to review the guidance at RDR1 and take the tests at RDR3, to make an informed decision.

    Residence, domicile and the remittance basis: RDR1
  4. If you remit any of your foreign income to the UK, no matter how small, you will meet the criteria for Self Assessment. You can register for self assessment at:

    Register for Self Assessment 

    For more advice you could contact our Self Assessment team on Number: 0300 200 3310, Text Relay: 18001 0300 200 3310, Overseas: +44 161 931 9070.  (Open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm Closed on weekends and bank holidays).
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 10 Feb 2023 13:58:09 GMT by Volodymyr
Does this mean, that 1. as a non domicile Ukrainian living here in the UK under Homes for Ukraine scheme, I do not need to be registered as Self Employed and I will be able to pay taxes even without being registered as self employed? 2. During self assessment, do I have to declare only income I remitted to the UK, example for the last year I earned 10 000 USD, I used my card and spent in the UK 4000 USD, what amount should I show in my Self assessment. Thank you!
Posted Tue, 14 Feb 2023 14:06:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If claiming the remittance basis, you do need to be registetred for self assessment  .

Please refer to further guidance at :

Paying tax on the remittance basis (Self Assessment helpsheet HS264)  .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 14 Mar 2023 04:12:33 GMT by AnnaSolovina Solovina
I am Ukrainian who moved to UK in 2022 (Ukrainian scheme). I want to know wether I can be considered as non dom and what is the procedure to claim this status. My parents had never been living in UK and are not British. I have my house in Ukraine. My questions: 1.Is there any annual fees for being non dom for the first 7 years (remittance basis) if not to bring any money to the Uk. 2. Do I need to pay any tax from my foreign income if I don’t bring this money to the UK 3. Do I need to fill in tax return if I am non dom resident who has foreign income but does not bring any money to UK during the year 4. Shall I apply in advance for non dom status ? How to require this status? 5. Shall I declare all my income , property , bank accounts outside UK if I am UK resident , non dom 6. If I have account abroad with some savings is this savings taxed if non dom. 7. If domicile resident has savings in foreign bank is this money taxed, if yes, what is the tax? Thank you
Posted Wed, 15 Mar 2023 12:22:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

HMRC cannot determine that for you.

Please refer to guidance at :

Tax on foreign income  .

This will then answer the subsequent questions  .

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 10 Apr 2023 11:37:00 GMT by DimaNataliya
Hi. Could you please clarify if you need to pay tax on the Ukrainian pension? A pension was issued in Ukraine to a disabled person from childhood, a person has physiological defects from birth, came to the UK via Homes for Ukraine scheme, This money is not spent in the UK. Thank you in advance for your help.
Posted Tue, 18 Apr 2023 12:19:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If this is a government benefit paid to the individual under the same terms as benefits paid in the UK, it will be treated as such.

If not taxable in UK, then the Ukranian income will not be either. You will need to clarify what is actually received.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 19 Apr 2023 10:28:13 GMT by MichaelKyiv
If I sell my Ukrainian vehicle in Ukraine and bring money to the UK from this sale. 1. Do I need to make self assessment and declare this sale at the end of the year? 2. It's not taxable right? 3. What kind of documents will you require on this case? Do I need to make an official translation of the sale contract and send it to you?
Posted Tue, 25 Apr 2023 15:50:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi MichaelKyiv
You would not need to declare this.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.