Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 12 Apr 2022 09:20:28 GMT by Aalbacete
Good morning, I have been sent an email saying that I have had a Tax Code change. When I access the HMRC web page to check this change, it says I have not payed enough Income Tax for the previous tax year, and that I owe £2000. However, when I try to check how much Income Tax I paid last year (between 6th April 2021 and 5th April 2022), I am told that HMRC "cannot calculate your tax yet as we are still waiting for information to reach us". How is this possible? I have been checking al my payslips and I do not think I have underpayed Income Tax and that this must be an error, however, the first thing HMRC does is changing my Tax Code when they do not even know how much Income Tax I have paid! I would appreciate some help as to how to proceed. Regards, Alfonso
Posted Tue, 12 Apr 2022 14:17:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 26

Your tax code may include an estimated underpayment from last year, which we would try and collect in your tax code this year. Once we have received all the end of year details we would review the tax calculation to confirm if that is correct or not.

You may wish to check with Income Tax if we have an estimated amount in your code:

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.