Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 01 Mar 2024 06:44:20 GMT by C Jenkinson
I have taken my work pension as a lump sum. I reside in Australia. Am I able to claim the 8% undeducted purchase price? Thanks
Posted Fri, 01 Mar 2024 15:43:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Sharon2,
It should be.
If they don't supply the form, you can still send the claim as it should be on record for the details of amount paid and tax deducted.
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 01 Mar 2024 23:52:52 GMT by C Jenkinson
I have taken my work pension as a lump sum. I reside in Australia and am an Australian citizen. My tax accountant in Australia asked if I am able to claim the 8% undeducted purchase price (UPP). I called HMRC last week and after a 50 minute wait and then 1hr 10minutes on the phone to a staff member the question could still not be answered. Unfortunately I was cut off when I got transferred to a manager. Could you please tell me if I can claim the UPP. In September 2023 I rang HMRC and a staff member told me to nominate a person with a UK bank account to receive my tax refund cheque. I was told to send this letter to the Benton Park View address, which I did in September 2023. My nominees were not sent the tax refund cheque. I rang HMRC in February 2024 to chase up this matter and I was told that I sent the letter to the incorrect address. I was cut off before the manager could tell me the correct address. Could you please tell me the correct address to send my correspondence? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 04 Mar 2024 12:55:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi C Jenkinson

Australian tax residents are taxed on their world-wide income so any foreign pension income received is taxable.  
The UPP of a foreign pension is the amount that the taxpayer contributed to the purchase price of the pension or annuity over their working life.
 As the total foreign pension income is taxable in Australia a deduction is allowed for the UPP amount so the taxpayer is only taxed on the net amount.  
You would need to discuss this with your pension provider and the Australian tax authorities.

Thanks
Posted Tue, 05 Mar 2024 02:41:56 GMT by C Jenkinson
In September 2023 I rang HMRC and a staff member told me to nominate a person with a UK bank account to receive my tax refund cheque. I was told to send this letter to the Benton Park View address, which I did in September 2023. My nominees were not sent the tax refund cheque. I rang HMRC in February 2024 to chase up this matter and I was told that I sent the letter to the incorrect address. I was cut off before the manager could tell me the correct address. Could you please tell me the correct address to send my correspondence so I can get my tax refund? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 05 Mar 2024 11:54:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi C Jenkinson,
Please refer to guidance at Tax on your UK income if you live abroad.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 05 Mar 2024 14:54:25 GMT by Sharon2
Hi Can you please confirm what the current timetable is for "refunding" emergency tax back taken at source from a private pension (Resident Spain) Or what option to chose on the "check progress form" Thanks
Posted Tue, 05 Mar 2024 21:57:53 GMT by C Jenkinson
Hi. What is the HMRC address to send correspondence? Thanks
Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 09:52:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Sharon2,
Double taxation claims have a 5-6 week turn around at present.
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 11:21:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi C Jenkinson,
The correct address to send correspondence for is
H.M. Revenue and Customs
Pay As You Earn
BX9 1AS.  
Please ensure that your national insurance number is included with any correspondence.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.