Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 25 Aug 2022 19:16:45 GMT by Keith Field
I applied for a tax refund using the P55SUB form via my on-line account on the 25th July 2022. The estimated date for completion was 15th August 2022. No refund has been forthcoming. I spent the last week trying to contact HMRC and when I eventually got through today, was told they were presently looking at claims only lodged up to the 15th June 2022, so my claim would in fact not be looked at before the end of September 2022 ! My real gripe is that the information on my on-line account bares no relation to the actual situation. A simple on line message from HMRC stating that you're running 6 weeks or so behind was all that was needed. It would have saved me and many others from wasting time sitting on the phone, clogging up your lines, simply to be told you're way behind in processing claims. Sorry to be blunt, but this is all pretty shambolic !
Posted Fri, 26 Aug 2022 12:20:28 GMT by Keith Field
Hello HMRC. Could somebody please confirm that HMRC are indeed taking around 6 - 8 weeks to look at income tax refund claims, as I was not convinced by the person I spoke to yesterday. Given the announcement on the energy price cap today, getting mine (and everyone else's) refunds expedited as quickly as possible has taken on a new urgency. Many thanks.
Posted Fri, 26 Aug 2022 15:54:36 GMT by Keith Field
Anyone ?
Posted Sat, 27 Aug 2022 08:50:43 GMT by Robert LONDON
Another for delay. I submitted my claim for a tax overpayment relating a pension part withdrawal. Claimed online June 30, the expected resolution date keeps moving. I need the money to replay a loan. HMRC's incompetence is now causing me financial hardship. When can I expect MY MONEY.HOW DO I SUBMIT A FORMAL COMPLAINT?
Posted Wed, 31 Aug 2022 05:40:42 GMT by Keith Field
Sorry to hear about your predicament. My claim too was made as result of a part pension withdrawal which was overtaxed at source (another long story). Simply would like (as a matter of common courtesy) someone from HMRC to confirm the rough waiting time for tax refund requests to be dealt with. Am I being unreasonable ?
Posted Wed, 31 Aug 2022 14:47:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Keith Field
Repayment claims are processed in date order, when you call our helpline the advisor will check the timescales if your claim has not been processed yet and advise accordingly.
Thankyou.
Regards.
Posted Wed, 31 Aug 2022 15:58:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Robert LONDON
You can make a complaint here:
Complain about HMRC
Thankyou.
Regards.
Posted Wed, 31 Aug 2022 17:06:16 GMT by Keith Field
Many thanks for replying. I've submitted a formal complaint as I've given up trying to get through to HMRC via phone for the second time !
Posted Fri, 09 Sep 2022 11:32:37 GMT by Philip Smith
I submitted a P55 SUB form via my gov gateway account way back in April 2022 and haven’t received my tax refund. A tax refund calculation confirmation was received in the post in early July along with a letter asking me to confirm my bank account number, this I immediately did via phone. Several phone calls later I still haven’t received the refund. I completed an online complaints form and received nothing, I then sent a complaint in via post, still nothing. I rang 2 weeks ago and was told if the refund hadn’t been made by the 7 Sept 22 to ring again, this I did this morning. The assistant took my phone number and said someone would ring me within 2 weeks. Unfortunately this is where I was some 2 months ago, and still waiting for the call.
Posted Fri, 09 Sep 2022 12:48:55 GMT by Robert LONDON
Please can someone in HMRC ar the very least do us all the common courtesy and advise what the current expected turn around time is. Additionall what do we do when all estimates have passed, complaints raised but still no information is forthcoming or headway is being made. Put simply its not fair we have bills to pay.
Posted Mon, 12 Sep 2022 14:24:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

Robert LONDON ,

The most recent timescale we have is 4 weeks, however if it is past this timescale we would need to refer this to our processing office when you contact us.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 12 Sep 2022 15:35:02 GMT by Keith Field
This entire post illustrates only too clearly the utter chaos pervading HMRC. The previous post indicating a time frame of 4 weeks to even look at a claim is completely out of date. The time frame was 6-8 weeks when I started this post some 18 days ago and nothing on my on - line account indicates otherwise. I've even seen claims dating back to April which are still outstanding. And please don't tell me to try phoning HMRC, as its impossible to get through. CAN ANYBODY HELP ME PLEASE !
Posted Tue, 13 Sep 2022 11:10:58 GMT by Philip Smith
I’ve rang up many many times but you only get through (usually after 40 minutes) to an administrator who cannot really help. Apparently they are unable to transfer your call to the actual PAYE person who deals with P55 claims. They won’t even take e mail addresses. All they do is take a phone number for someone to ring you, as I said before I’m still waiting for a return call from 2 months ago & again from Friday last week. I am told it can take upto 2 weeks! But don’t count on it. It seems nothing works, I told them way back in May that I was a pensioner and needed this money returned asap, it obviously fell on deaf ears. If you do get anywhere please let me know how you managed it.
Posted Tue, 13 Sep 2022 17:57:31 GMT by Keith Field
Will do !
Posted Wed, 14 Sep 2022 08:24:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

We are not able to progress any claims from this forum, the only way for us to review your case is by contacting our helpline,
or by writing to us.

See link:

Income Tax: general enquiries   .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 14 Sep 2022 11:37:45 GMT by Philip Smith
I’ve already written both via my online Gov Gateway & put a letter in the post, I haven’t had a single response
Posted Fri, 16 Sep 2022 11:15:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Philip Smith,

If you have not had a response, you will need to contact our helpline to check the position.
Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 19 Sep 2022 16:57:34 GMT by gavin laws
Been waiting myself for 5 weeks with the same issue. Mine was an ill health pension pay out. Phoned twice and still nothing
Posted Thu, 22 Sep 2022 08:59:31 GMT by Graham Paterson
My P55 form was submitted on 26th July and estimated completion was 16th August. It's frustrating to login and see the same completion date every time. It would be a lot more informative if HMRC would update the estimated completion date! Has anyone any recent experience in how long it actually takes for the P55 form to be processed. I am now dipping into savings to pay bills.
Posted Thu, 22 Sep 2022 18:21:12 GMT by Keith Field
Hello Graham et al. Depending on which route you try with HMRC, you will get answers ranging from 4-12 weeks from date of claim. However, I've lost faith altogether with HMRC timelines as it's clear the left arm doesn't know what the right arm is doing ! The service HMRC are currently providing beggars belief and I still can't get my head round how a major (and vital) government department has been allowed to get into this state. In desperation, I wrote to Jim Harra, who is HMRC's First Permanent Secretary and Chief Executive (ie: the boss) via his general email address at perm.secs@hmrc.gov.uk . I did get a response asking for more information on my claim which I've provided, so we'll see if this leads to anything. I wish everyone who reads this post well in their dealings with HMRC, and sincerely hope it's less stressful than mine has been to date !

You must be signed in to post in this forum.