Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 15:45:26 GMT by Gladys Chan
Dear Sir/Madam, My mom was non UK resident and died last year. She gave me some stocks according to her Will. I want to know from what time the value of stocks is calculated so I need to pay any gains/ interest of those stocks afterward: 1) The stock value is calculated on the date of my mom died. so if the price of stocks raised afterward, I need to pay the tax on the gain. or 2) The stock value is calculated on the date of the issuance of Grant. or 3) The stock value is calculated on the date the actual stocks were transferred to the executor of the Will. (in my case it is my brother) or 4) The date the executor transferred the stocks to my account. Thank you
Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 16:16:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
The date will be when your mum died and you will treat the value at that date as your 'cost' price.
Thankyou.
Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 17:20:40 GMT by Gladys Chan
Thank you for your reply, The gain from selling stocks inheriting from my mom is classified as "Income" or "Capital Gain"?
Posted Fri, 02 Jun 2023 19:17:32 GMT by Gladys Chan
Dear Sir/Madam, May I know if the gain from selling stocks inheriting from my mom is classified as "Income" or "Capital Gain"?
Posted Wed, 07 Jun 2023 10:31:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

This would be a capital gain.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.